repairing marble

I have a marble faced entrance to my house which is about 15mm thick. I managed to chip off a couple of chunks off the edge. what can I use to glue the pieces back. The damage is recent so the areas are still clean so I am looking for an adhesive thin enough to make the join btween the pieces look like a natural marble vein.It also has to be strong enough as it's the edge of a step to the main entrance.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Araldite is easily available - get the "slow" stuff, not "rapid". You will have to hold the pieces in place while the glue sets, plastic tape *stretched* to hold the pieces together with the tape in tension is OK. It will probably need to set for a day or two before you remove the tape or use the step, though. You could also use polyester resin (comes with car body repair kits) if the colour's acceptable. There are other options, I'm sure people will mention them...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net was thinking very hard :

I would suggest a two part epoxy (the slow setting Araldite). It is quite thick, especially in when it is cold, so it might be best to wait for the warmer weather - unless you can find some way to warm the marble.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Titebond Polyurethane

stuff!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I don't believe any of the above mentioned adhesives are thin enough. Epoxy certainly will leave a very visible join line.

I made a very successful repair of a marble fire surround about 1" thick using superglue. If you make a practice run first to be sure you can fit the pieces together precisely, and then apply a small amount to cover each surface you should be able to get a near invisible and very strong joint. Use clingfilm round the finger you use to apply the 30 seconds pressure, to avoid sticking yourself to the job.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

If that's your experience, you've obviously absolutely no idea.

Think that's be OK on a step, outside?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You seem to be suggesting my suggestion isn't suitable. Care to say why?

Cyanoacrylate does seem to withstand the elements pretty well. Probably something to do with the near-zero glue line not allowing water penetration. It also makes an very strong joint due to its penetration into the pores of that kind of material.