replacing a dormer window

We've just moved into a new place that has a dormer window in the loftspace, unfortunately the window frames and part of the dormer itself is rotten and needs replacing. Now I've been thinking about putting a bench up there along with the PC as it's not a bad sized area, (it's even boarded and carpeted) and it was suggested to me that we should make the window a bit bigger while we are doing it to maximise light.

I've had a brief chat with the local planning dept to see if I need permission to increase the size of the dormer but it seems there are no hard and fast rules about this. We'd only be looking at a 30% increase in each dimension and it's currently about 1m by 650mm, half is an opener, the other fixed with a small opener at the top. A quick hack with paint shop pro shows it makes minimal difference from the road view and there are three or four larger dormers and loft conversions within 200 metres of here already.The council just said for me to send in a sketch of what I want to do, we're not in a conservation area so is it likely I'll need PP or not?

The other idea would be to have the majority of it in uPVC and have triangular windows in each side, the dormer looks west with sea views to the south and Downs to the right so they will offer a nice view as well as extra sunlight. I've had a look round in my travels and done some googling but I can't find anyone else who has done this so maybe it's a non starter, any thoughts?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul I refurbished the dormers on my place and replaced the structural framework with treated timber and the windows in UPVC including the triangular glazed sides (very popular in the north east in victorian houses) It worked out well. All were internally beaded so it made it easier to work on the outside from the inside. I have no idea on permissions as I was replacing like for like. Rob

Reply to
rob

Front or rear? (Or more importantly, does it face a public highway such as a road or footpath).

Do you know if you have any remaining permitted development rights?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Front, although it's well set back and on a largish bungalow so visually it's quite unobtrusive.

Sorry, my original post was badly worded, it's new to us but isn't a new build, 1960s construction.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It won't come under permitted development rights if it is on the front anyway. Personally, I reckon you need permission, but I'm no lawyer.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle