Replacement windows & Building Regs

We're looking at buying a house where the windows were replaced in March 2002. The owner says that this was before the building regs came into force and therefore they do not need to comply with the current regulations/fensa etc. and he has no certificates or documentation to back this up ( they were made by a "friend of a friend" and documentation is non-existant )

Is this correct or is it something I need to be worried about?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
awf_ng

Fensa regs came into force on 1st April 2002 - have a look at

we miss the blindingly obvious don't we :o)

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

If you really want the house and the windows look in good nick etc what's there to worry about? I would imagine that the majority of UK housing stock does not have windows made by companies in the FENSA scheme.

Maybe the seller can get them regularised by building control? They will /probably/ only be concerned with proof of the U value of the glass.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

The sealed units probably have a date which should enable you to test the hypothesis. Otherwise the vendor can purchase an indemnity policy to cover any future enforcement costs.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Just make sure he puts it in writing and that your solicitor is happy with his statement.

If you later find otherwise and have a problem because of it, you can then try suing him for deception/whatever.

David Hearn

You need to identify the supplier/fabricator just incase anyway, mine were done by a friend of a friend, but included the fabricators details so when I had a question, raised by a police CRO, about them I could get an answer.

Reply to
Badger

Can't you insist he gets the council to issue a letter of comfort? In scotland this is the norm, even though you don't actually require it.

Reply to
Alan