replacement cooker thermostat

RS sell several useful controllers and probes, we've got several ovens at work in the labs and all have eurotherm units, a basic controller should be ok, full PID control is too much for too little return in a domestic oven. As for Bellend, just don't go there, still owed my holiday and overtime from when they went to the wall when Mr's Belling died....Still I didn't have a pension with them, thankfully.

Niel, former Bellend engineer.

Reply to
njf

I thought it was just my cooking... everything was getting burnt. Checked temp with digital meter probe and found my 3 yr old Stoves electric oven was giving over 200C when set to 160, but 140 was really

140 - so scale a bit off! Wanted to fix it, but local electrical supplier claims cannot get a replacement domestic thermostat rated at better than +-10%. Confirms my suspicions - replaced thermostat on a previous (Belling) some years ago, and accuracy was not greatly improved. (And it was a fiddly job too) Any suggestions out there for a better solution than +-20 degrees at 200? Sounds like life hasn't moved on much since the bimetallic strip... anybody put a more sophisticated electronic control circuit in? caroline
Reply to
rjc_csl

If you can bypass the current thermostat then a programmable thermo regulator, 24V supply and K type thermocouple may work. Setting the temperature would be a fairly simple but deciding on the hysteresis may need a bit of experimentation.

I have no idea of the cost of the power supply but imagine a transformer and 4 diodes would work, the thermocouple will be about GBP15 and the thermo regulator about GBP50.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

"rjc_csl" wrote | I thought it was just my cooking... everything was getting | burnt. Checked temp with digital meter probe and found my | 3 yr old Stoves electric oven was giving over 200C when set | to 160, but 140 was really 140 - so scale a bit off!

I knew someone who had a somewhat strange 1970s-esque arrangement where the oven was under the worktop but the controls were on a wall-mounted grill/rosisserie unit. He was tidying up the kitchen and coming across a bare copper wire from the oven to the grill cut it out and replaced it with some proper green-and-yellow earth cable.

It wasn't so much burnt food that alarmed him but more the constantly melting of the plastic containers used for ready meals. I think some complaints to the retailer actually produced some free replacements.

Some readers by this point will have a suspicion that what appeared to be a bare copper earth wire was in fact the temperature sensor wire ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's not just the method, but also where the probe is placed... Our fan oven has electronic temperature control, I haven't taken it apart to see whether it's thermocouple or thermister and I'm too lazy to check it with a thermometer. So I can't vouch for its accuracy ;)

It was cheap though, so the electronics must be as well...

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver