replacement cooker thermostat

I thought it was just my cooking... everything was getting burnt. Checked temp with digital meter probe and found my 3 yr old Stoves electric oven was giving over 200C when set to 160, but 140 was really 140 - so scale a bit off! Wanted to fix it, but local electrical supplier claims cannot get a replacement domestic thermostat rated at better than +-10%. Confirms my suspicions - replaced thermostat on a previous (Belling) some years ago, and accuracy was not greatly improved. (And it was a fiddly job too) Any suggestions out there for a better solution than +-20 degrees at 200? Sounds like life hasn't moved on much since the bimetallic strip... anybody put a more sophisticated electronic control circuit in? caroline
rjc_csl wrote:

RS sell several useful controllers and probes, we've got several ovens at work in the labs and all have eurotherm units, a basic controller should be ok, full PID control is too much for too little return in a domestic oven. As for Bellend, just don't go there, still owed my holiday and overtime from when they went to the wall when Mr's Belling died....Still I didn't have a pension with them, thankfully.
Niel, former Bellend engineer.
On 29 Dec 2003 17:04:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@rjccsl.demon.co.uk (rjc_csl) wrote:

If you can bypass the current thermostat then a programmable thermo regulator, 24V supply and K type thermocouple may work. Setting the temperature would be a fairly simple but deciding on the hysteresis may need a bit of experimentation.
I have no idea of the cost of the power supply but imagine a transformer and 4 diodes would work, the thermocouple will be about GBP15 and the thermo regulator about GBP50.
AJH
snipped-for-privacy@dtn.invalid wrote:
> I have no idea of the cost of the power supply but imagine a

It's not just the method, but also where the probe is placed... Our fan oven has electronic temperature control, I haven't taken it apart to see whether it's thermocouple or thermister and I'm too lazy to check it with a thermometer. So I can't vouch for its accuracy ;)
It was cheap though, so the electronics must be as well...
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

"rjc_csl" wrote | I thought it was just my cooking... everything was getting | burnt. Checked temp with digital meter probe and found my | 3 yr old Stoves electric oven was giving over 200C when set | to 160, but 140 was really 140 - so scale a bit off!
I knew someone who had a somewhat strange 1970s-esque arrangement where the oven was under the worktop but the controls were on a wall-mounted grill/rosisserie unit. He was tidying up the kitchen and coming across a bare copper wire from the oven to the grill cut it out and replaced it with some proper green-and-yellow earth cable.
It wasn't so much burnt food that alarmed him but more the constantly melting of the plastic containers used for ready meals. I think some complaints to the retailer actually produced some free replacements.
Some readers by this point will have a suspicion that what appeared to be a bare copper earth wire was in fact the temperature sensor wire ...
Owain