Replacement battery?

But you live in Kansas. This is a uk. newsgroup!

Reply to
Davey

And for Bosch, they list about 12 batteries, all but three of which are out of stock. Fail, John. Nice try, though.

Reply to
Davey

Oh! You're right.

I'll mosey on out. ;-)

Reply to
John F. Morse

See you back over The Lost Horizons, John!

Reply to
Davey

I know this fella, he hosts my newsreading, so I have no problem with his dropping by. He was probably just surfing his hosted newsgroups. But I agree with your thinking, I see requests for suggestions for things or places, and it makes a difference where the poster is. That said, I use just one sig., which for most purposes does fine without adding any locality information. Maybe say that it would help if people were more inclined to indicate their location when it matters?

Reply to
Davey

I don't think *anyone* has a problem with non-UK folks dropping by, other than the odd bit of confusion when it turns out that local differences *do* matter, even then it can be interesting to learn the differences.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Tools work the same whether you're chasing a cow in Kansas, or fixing a tram in NZ. It's only _shopping_ where it gets difficult. And the odd spelling.

Now, what colo(u)r is that brick road?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Especially those from the USA, the great nation that has saved the world from despots and dictators so many times in the last hundred years.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thought Regan and Thatcher were bosom buddies?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, I certainly knew where you are. ;-)

As Davey stated, he knows where I am, but for Dave's information, I'm located in Overland Park, Kansas, USA. A suburb of Kansas City (Missouri, the larger, and Kansas, the smaller).

Overland Park is the second largest city in Kansas, following Wichita.

http://g.co/maps/9zsmuI do occasionally read parts of this group as I find time to scan the Subjects for interesting items. The users seem to be polite, and quite knowledgeable. Just the opposite from what I find in the a.o.l.u group.

I am curious though, just how much does it cost someone in the UK to order from a company in the US? Is there just postage (shipping), or does one or both countries charge some export/import "tax" on the goods?

Reply to
John F. Morse

But who will save us from ourselves?

Reply to
John F. Morse

We have to pay VAT (20%) on all imports plus duty depending on what the item is classed as, sometimes you get away with it on small items (and then ought to pay voluntarily).

But the real killer for a lot of American companies is shipping, it's not uncommon to see $50 or $75 international shipping even on cheap items, not always of course.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I spent nearly $80 in courier shipping VAT and taxes on $100 of parts.

Stuff from china comes in parcel post for a fiver. Go figure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed - and I've oft wondered why. These days I get things sent to a friend in the US and she posts them on at normal prices. Not had any problems - so far.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bill, your tongue is showing.

Reply to
grimly4

Depends on the size/weight of the item. Largeish items used to be dead cheap and worthwhile getting sent by USPS Surface Mail - slow boat from NY, I assume. Unfortunately, USPS stopped that and the cheapest service is now 1st Class International, which is cheap for small/light items but anything heavier now has to go by much more expensive and not-worthwhile rate. Another problem can be the sellers' ignorance of, or reluctance to, use USPS 1st Class - some are downright obstructionist, while others are quite flexible - I cite KEH camera dealers as a prime example of the latter.

Reply to
grimly4

Subsidised China Post.

Reply to