Repairing spectacles frame.

Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has failed.

TIA

Reply to
Nobody

soldering will also fail - take them to a jewellers or maybe opticians and get them silver soldered / brazed

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Nobody wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have only soldered the screw bit, and there's a bit of meat there to get on to.

I think it may be possible if you use a piece of wire as a bridge; you'll need to clamp it during fixing or the lens will fall out, tin each side and the bridge first and cross your fingers

Good luck

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Take it to a decent optician, who will be able to braze or silver solder it - if you get the metal too hot, it'll collapse, but you need to get it hot as ordinary solder is unlikely to be any good.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

SNAP!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks for the advice, the dear lady has now produced a spare pair from out of the Tardis...oops, habdbag :-))

The other pair will get repaired as suggested (opticians).

Thanks.

Reply to
Nobody

"solder" is really too soft to make a lasting repair, if your mum has her prescription you could more then likely buy a new pair online for less then an optician would charge to repair her old frames. See

Mark

| Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have | broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it | joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has | failed.

All my attempts at repairing glasses have failed :-( Opticians will reframe existing lenses, at quite low cost. If your mother is an OAP retesting her eyes is free.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Sick of Premium SMS scams, SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?=20 Register with

they work :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Or a new pair:

at 17.50 including postage...

Reply to
Bob Eager

| On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 23:11:10 UTC, Nobody wrote: |=20 | > On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:28:19 +0000, Chris Bacon =

| > wrote: | >=20 | > >Nobody wrote: | > >> Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have | > >> broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart = where it | > >> joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing = has | > >> failed. | > >

| > >Take it to a decent optician, who will be able to braze or | > >silver solder it - if you get the metal too hot, it'll | > >collapse, but you need to get it hot as ordinary solder is | > >unlikely to be any good. | >=20 | >=20 | > Thanks for the advice, the dear lady has now produced a spare pair | > from out of the Tardis...oops, habdbag :-)) | >=20 | > The other pair will get repaired as suggested (opticians). |=20 | Or a new pair: |=20 |

|=20| starting at 17.50 including postage... ^^^^^^^^

If only I could get my varifocals at that price :-(

Having first had her eyes tested at an optician. =46ree if over 60

>Eye tests: If you are aged 60 or over, you can have free eye tests with the NHS.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yes! Still, mere bifocals are only 20 quid more.

Of course. But I ignored that since it's a constant...

Reply to
Bob Eager