Fridge cleaning.

Something in the fridge went mouldy, so I thought I'd better empty the thing, and clean it. I used a spray-on "Mr. Muscle Multi-Task" ("cleans from kitchens to carpets"), as I have recently bought some. All was well for a day or two, then it began to smell bad again - not a mouldy smell, either, just a horrid smell as of plugholes, old dogs, and... something. I cleaned it again, with the same stuff. All was well for a day or two, and now it smells as bad as after the first clean.

Could the cleaner be making this smell? I've just cleaned it out again, with some washing soda, and dried it with kitchen paper. I'll leave it open overnight.

What is a good thing to clean the inside of refrigerators?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Some fridges have little drainholes at the bottom - they can get clogged with icky stuff, and cause a big stink, even if the rest of the fridge is spotless.

Reply to
S Viemeister

One that usually works is to make a paste of sodium bicarbonate rather than washing soda (sodium carbonate) and wipe it on to all the surfaces.

Then leave overnight and rinse the following day.

Is there a little port, a pipe and a tray over the compressor used for automatic defrost to collect and evaporate the water?

These can become filled with crud.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The little drain hole in this one is easy to see, & I've poked a straw down it - I can't smell "the smell" outside the fridge, either - when I cleaned it (both times) the inside was left dry. This is hell - I *hate* cleaning fridges (but I hate this smell more, it's turned the fridge into a tool for spoiling food - it gets into the butter, and everything - Gah!).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I had a chicken breast go off in our fridge recently - it was within it's use by date, but had been removed from the controlled atmosphere packaging. I nearly hurled when I opened the fridge one morning.

Anyway, to get rid of it, I dissolved rather a lot of bicarb in a glass of warm water and put it in the fridge for a couple of days. Within a day, the smell had gone.

Reply to
SteveH

Even when the little hole _seems_ to be clean - it may harbour stink. I've used warm vinegar and bicarb/baking soda to bubble stuff out. Poke some soda in the hole, then follow with a little pour of the vinegar, let bubble, scrub with a pipecleaner or tiny brush, and rinse with plain water. It's always worked in the past. Wouldn't hurt to try.....

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yes. The fragrances in cleaners assume they can disperse. This can't happen in a closed environment like a fridge, and worse, the fragrances might end up getting into the food.

Sodium Bicarbonate. This is baking powder (but avoid baking powder if it also has flour in it, which some does.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'll have to get some tomorrow, have only washing soda at the mo., & that's a solid block...

Oh, no.... more fridge-wiping... however, if it restores function it will be worthwhile.

Lovely, the best wine in the world is two bottles or port (J.J.)

They're cler as far as I can see.... there was some stuff trapped in the folds of the seal at the bottom, but it wasn't smelly, and has gone now.

Hopefully tomortrow will see service restored. Must slide off sqiiffily now.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Check that it is keeping cool and the compressor isn't getting red hot. It sounds like the gas is leaking from it. That often smells the way you describe, so it could have a leak. I knew someone that took a knife to a freezer once to remove ice, then wondered why it never worked again! You're best avoiding fancy cleaning solutions for fridges. use warm water and washing up liquid on the inside.

Reply to
furby

You can buy no smell, no taste food safe cleaners in most supermarkets. They are usually based on QAT biocides which will kill any taint/smell.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Bleach and then washed off with washy liquid, leave the door open as you suggsted.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Other recommendations of BiCarb of Soda are good.

What I also do as a longterm measure is use lemon halfs. After they've been squeezed for juice I pop them in the fridge. They may soak up some of the lingering smells. I don't know how good they are but they certainly don't make things worse and it's re-using something that would just end up in the bin.

Frink

Reply to
Doctor J. Frink

I like that idea, but I'll have to open the fridge later (he says, blinking and wincing in the morning light).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Best thing to clean almost anything around the house - steam cleaner.

I recently purchased the Shark portable steam cleaner. It is about the size of an upright kettle and comes with a shoulder strap.

I've tried several different steam cleaners. However, the Shark seems to have about 4 times the steam power of most of the other steam cleaners in the market.

I boil a small amount of water in the kettle, carefully fill the steam cleaner and it is operational in 2 minutes.

The steam cuts through anything. The advantage is that you are not pouring toxic chemicals all over food surfaces.

The Shark is not cheap - about £70. However, when you think what you spend on cleaning chemicals it's not bad.

The real surprise is particularly on windows. I've cleaned windows using glass cleaner - they look totally clean. I then tried going over them with the Shark - made a real difference.

(I have no connection with the manufacturer - just a very happy customer)

Graham

Reply to
graham

Plastic fridge linings melt well below boiling point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would never have thought of using my steam cleaner in the fridge!! It does a wonderful job on the oven and tiles and carpets.. and .. loads of things.. Mine is not a Shark and I am too lazy to go and look and tell you what it is, but I reckon a steam cleaner is a steam cleaner. Mine is a big one but the attachments are varied and I can use it anywhere.

Reply to
Ophelia

The steam rapidly heats and then cools. It has not caused any damage to the seals on our fridge or freezer.

If you held the steam cleaner in one position for a while then I imagine it could do some damage.

Graham

Reply to
graham

Brilliant piece of kit for defrosting the freezer, steam cleaner & a wet vacuum.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I never thought of that when I did my freezer recently. Although I don't really defrost it. I just empty it, scrape it down and put the food back in.

Reply to
Ophelia

True. Defrosts the freezer in about 5 mins.

Graham

Reply to
graham