Repairing damaged vinyl floor

Any thoughts on how best to tackle this?

It's Carpetright vinyl flooring - quite a thick type - it was glued to the concrete floor over the whole area rather than just taped round the edges in an effort to prevent this sort of thing (I think probably caused by a dragging chair leg).

I know it's probably going to need replacing but I thought I'd give a repair it a whirl first. Possibilities I'm thinking of:

  1. Make a short cut along one of the lines between the 'floorboards' and squirt a load of no-nails underneath, then leave to set with as much weight as I can muster pressing down on top

  1. Apply an iron? hot air paint stripper? to the damaged area to soften it, (will it soften appropriately?) then apply weight as in (1). Afterwards if necessary, maybe do option (1) in full as well; ie cut and glue?

  2. I've got a spare bit of vinyl left over, and I'm fairly sure I have enough to cut out the damaged area - cutting only along the sides and edges of the 'floorboards' in the pattern, and then glue in a new piece of vinyl. Hmm.

I suppose I could always try solutions 2, 1, and 3 in sequence?!

Any thoughts on the relative merits of these, or any other options?

Thanks

Reply to
Lobster

Professional vinyl fitters have a sort of hot iron they can put under the edge of the vinyl to heat-seal two pieces together for large rooms.

I don't know if it's easily or successfully DIYable but a good fitter should be able to sort that out for you no problem.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , Lobster writes

That is the option I would try first, and have recently done, in the kitchen. Our flooring is old, though, and the new piece is a tad obvious. Yours may blend in if it has not been down too long.

Reply to
News

ISTR I once had a tube of PVC solvent cement which was supposed to do flooring, inflatable pools, and such. I wonder if ordinary PVC pipe solvent weld cement would be an easy way to "weld" the edges. (Be aware that there are different pipe cements for PVC and ABS, one works on the other but not vice versa).

I agree with you and News, I would certainly try to stick down the patch first.

Reply to
newshound

Use double sided tape (or Gaffer tape around the edge) to stick the new bit on top of the damaged bit, then cut through both to ensure the right size.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo