repairing ceiling & walls.

Hi

I am currently renovating my bathroom. Currently on three sides of the room we have flourescent lights. Then rather strangly there is a short hanging down piece of vertical ply which has been coved. The net effect is one where the light only shines down the wall. As the walls are painted dark green this doesn't really work and just makes the room gloomy.

This is made even worse by the wall where the bath is not having a light.

The plan is to have a single large fitting in the centre of the ceiling. All the ply will be got rid of and the coving will be put against the wall.

However, when I pull down the ply I am certain that this will damage the ceiling.

How realistic is it to pin up new plasterboard over the existing ceiling. Assuming I can find out where the joists are by taking up the floorboards above. (Which I need to do to fix the electrics.

Or does it make sense to just rip the ceiling out and put up a completely new one?

Secondly, what is the experience of the group of the results of doing the jointing oneself. All that sanding seems laborious. Can the joins still be seen?

Having tried plastering and realised that this is an art requiring lots of practise. The alternative seems to be getting a plasterer in.

Reply to
deckertim

There is a fairly recent thread giving hints on taping/jointing .I am presently doing my bathroom using TE plasterboard and did my kitchen walls the same way .by .It was a bit time consuming filling the joints but I got there eventually and was very pleased with the results and the joins cant be seen .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart