Repair BT Diverse 4016 base unit?

The base unit (the master unit with the answering machine) for my BT Diverse 4016 has developed erratic behaviour. None of the handsets could contact it, including its own, and there was no ring tone. Switching off, waiting and switching on again restored it for a few minutes (with power on the charging pins) and then it died again.

What is a likely cause of the problem? Can it be repaired, is it worth doing so, and where can it be done? I'm in South Bedfordshire.

I made the mistake of ordering a new one from Homephones Direct as it was the only place I could find one at the time. They told me that Royal Mail had sent it back to them as undelivered. Seeing as SWMBO and I work from home, the address I gave them was correct, and any undelivered items can be collected from the local post office, it's all vary fishy. Had I known then about them what I know now...

Reply to
Ramsman

Capacitors dying, fails to smooth out supply rails, RF stage takes a sip of power to transmit and then the micro crashes...

Can it be repaired, is it worth

How old is it?

and where can it be done? I'm in South Bedfordshire.

Probably not cost effective to pay someone, unless that someone doesn't work on repair shop rates. i.e. kindly hobbyist, Ham etc...

One answer recently given on sci.electronics.repair on cost effective methods on mending defective electronic items, rationalised the whole diagnoisis & repair process to a few easy non-technical steps ...

  1. Put the item away,
  2. Flip Burgers for a week,
  3. then buy a new one[1] ...

Now where was that burger shop?

[1] the following set I'm well impressed with ...

Panasonic KX-TG6524EB DECT Quad Digital Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine

Adrian C

Only two discrete capacitors on an SMT PCB. No visible signs of failure.

I was surprised when I looked it up - it was bought nine years ago. The original master base unit was replaced at some stage in the meantime, so they seem not to have an endless useful life.

100-number phone book won't be much use. I really must cull some of the redundant numbers one day. Now where's that round tuit?

Looks like I'll have either to find a compatible base unit, or bite the bullet and replace the entire system. I'd rather do the former as the phones themselves have lots of useful features and are still performing

100%.
Reply to
Ramsman