Rendering

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a 3 bed semi detached house. The house is abt 50 yrs old. In the survey report it came up that the outer rendering needs bit of work as there are cracks in it. I got quote from couple of builders and its costing me around 4k to put new rendering.

Now I need to know is.

  1. Does it make sence to fix exisiting one instead of putting new one?
  2. does it really cost that much to put new rendering.
  3. will the new rendering increase the house price?

Please not the cost includes VAT and scafolding.

Any comments/feedback will be really appreciated.

Regards,

Rajesh

Reply to
Raj

In message , Raj writes

It would probably always look patched.

If it is of any interest I'm having work done on a similar sized house and it is costing about 3K to have the old render/pebble dash removed and replaced with new. The scaffold is costing about 900 so about the same as you have been quoted.

As to whether it increases the house price I don't know but it will certainly make mine look a darn sight better.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Bill

not really. If its cracking up it will only get worse. New render should last 25-70 years.

Its hard dirty work, some of it at height on scaffolding. OTOH if you have the time and energy you can save thousands DIYing it. Its a simple enough job.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

============== As usual it depends on what part of the country you are.

I had my house (3 bed semi - Midlands) done earlier this year. The quote was initially £1600 but some additional work was done so the final cost was £1800. Scaffolding was only a minor item (£90-00p for one wall) because they worked mainly off quickly adjustable towers which they provided. I opted for plain render which now looks very good with two coats of paint which I did myself with no trouble.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If it's adhering well it is possible to fix the cracking. If it is blown in patches, it is repairable. If it is generally loose get it off, and see whether it needs replacing or whether you can just re-do the pointing. Render was often applied as a bodge being cheaper than re-pointing.

For the actual application, plastering rates (per metre) will apply, assuming good access.

Unlikely.

Eh? If you mean "note" it depends what you can get locally. A general builder may well be cheaper than a hire company.

If it's blowing, find out why (damp?). If it's just falling off, find out why (poor application, over distemper, etc.).

The above is why I don't like rendered *or* painted houses.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built