Removing tile adhesive

I've got to remove a fair amount of tile adhesive off plaster now that the tiles are off the wall. It's sticking like the proverbial to a blanket.

I'm not too fussed about creating dust so would a belt sander shift it?

TIA

I've found that a block plane can work very well for this. Of course, the blade will need a complete resharpen, if you contact the plasterboard. (I used a Lidl 3.99/2 planes pack for this.)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I doubt it. It'll probably gum up the abrasive. Never tried this but coating it in wallpaper paste overnight might just soften it. They say steamers work quite well

Reply to
Stuart Noble

A wallpaper steamer&3" Scraper will do the job in no time.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's what I do.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks.

Spent £19.99 on one of Argos's cheapos (711/1363) and it's shifted the adhesive quite quickly. The bag is useless and the mains lead is not long enough to be able to reach the ceiling without lifting the mains extension reel off the floor.

However, on the plus side I've used only one of the five belts included in the box and even that's still got some life in it. Just wondering now if I could have saved a tenner and got the one they've got on offer at £9.99(710/5647).

A warning: goggles, mask and ear defenders are a must, as is sealing the room to prevent the dust settling throughout the house.

I'd rather have a steamed room than dusty one.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

And I'd rather have the adhesive off the wall. Which I have.

I've also got a belt sander to add to my collection of tools rather than a hole in my pocket from renting a steamer.

As a professional tiler I always get 'my lad' to remove any tile adhesive residue with a 'cheap and cheerful' wallpaper steam stripper and wallpaper scraper. I have been self employed doing this for nearly 15 years and I have just bought my second steamer. Costing £20.00 each I would say the cost per job is about a penny (the customer pays for water and 'leccy)! Also means we can get on with retiling on the same day without great big bogies up our noses! DO NOT use a sander of any description unless you want the mess.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Of course you have but it means cleaning the bathroom from top to bottom after the dust has settled.

A steamer in argos is a few quid.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That had to be done anyway - I've had to pull it apart for what amounts to an almost complete rebuild.

But the sander was cheaper and will be more useful to me in the long run.

So why bother taking the adhesive residue off the wall in the first place?

Not to remove wallpaper it wont!

I think you are talking about only sanding a few areas rather than a whole bathroom. Bathrooms (generally) are not that big, so if you had to do "almost a complete rebuild" we are not talking apples for apples so your suggestion may not help the OP!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

So, =A320 for the steamer plus a bit of water and leccy. How much is a "lad", and what sizes do they come in? :)

d=2E

Reply to
deano

So, £20 for the steamer plus a bit of water and leccy. How much is a "lad", and what sizes do they come in? :)

Totally irrelevant how much the 'lad' is in the context of the original question. If he wasn't removing adhesive residue he would be doing something else for my business, i.e. getting my butties, making my tea, lifting and shifting, Oh yes and also learning how to be a competent tiler and hopefully setting himself on his way to being his own boss like my last 'lad'. Who indecently now runs his own business (close by) and we actually work together sometimes on larger jobs, some mine, some his!

Cheers

John

P.S. To the OP, ignore all this banter and use a steam stripper!

Reply to
John