Removing a wallpaper boarder

Ok SWMBO want the lounge re-decorated for chrimbo no problem thinks I paint the two halves and even put a bigger border up if she wants and its done. Oh no that's not the plan she want all one colour wall. So here's the problem I got a vinyl border stuck with a board adhesive on top of standard lining paper is there anyway I can get it off without damaging the lining paper?

In hope

JD

Reply to
JD

Skintflint, just do the job properly and rewallpaper

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

its not being tight its time thats the problem I could really do with spending it on more important thinks like work

Reply to
JD

You could try peeling the face of it off, sometimes it comes away and leaves a backing on similar to lining paper...either way and if it all comes off, you can get away with using a fine surface filler, provided you know how to use it.

Reply to
Phil L

How much is your boarder paying you .?

Reply to
Stuart

The only method I can think of is steaming it off. Whether it will leave the lining paper alone in practice I don't know.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Will the border split and tear off - often these vinyl wall coverings will do that, leaving behind the backing stuck to the wall: if so, that will be much more susceptible to being soaked with water and hopefully being persuaded to part company with the underlying lining paper without damaging it.

I wouldn't use a steamer other than as a last resort: very likely to pull the whole lot off.

Otherwise you've no option I'm afraid: just replace the SWMBO.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Try an eviction order ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And end up with a caught case. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

Get a stanley knife and a long straight edge,go round the border with the knife on both sides cutting through the lining as well. Aquire a steamer and steam it off,then fill in the gap with the same thickness lining paper above and below the gap. Slop some paint in any discrepencies at the joins,let it dry then paint the entire walls.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Watch out for those boarders; especially if of the male variety!

Reply to
terry