Removing Wallpaper

I have a very large kitchen and would like to get rid of the wallpaper and have it painted instead. I have two layers of wallpaper and have been told the top one will be easy to remove but that the builder put up the first wallpaper on walls that weren't primed. I have had contractors who will do it but tell me it will be a big job and may not look as good as I want it to. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Reply to
patga

How did someone know the walls had not been primed by the builder? I have removed wallpaper before and never found any unprimed wallboard. Both houses I've owned had wallpaper put up by builder and there was no problem. Just wondering?

Reply to
Dorot29701

We pulled up some of the second layers of wallpaper which came up easily. However, when we tried to pull up the first layer, it was extremely difficult. I understand it was common for builders in this area, Atlanta, not to prime walls before putting up the wallpaper. (It was cheaper).

Reply to
patga

I used to live in east Cobb - and my house (built 1962) had wallpaper and the walls were primed. Anyway, on heavy wallpaper it is common for the heavy outer layer to come off easily leaving a thin paper coating underneath. You need a paper "tiger" - something you roll over the paper and it puts fine holes in it. Then you spray it with water, let the water seep in, and scrape it off. Do it in small sections. You can rent a steamer - think Home Depot rents them out - if it's a really big job. You scrape it with wide putty knives being careful not to gouge the wallboard if you can help it. It is not too hard to do on most walls. Just takes patience. They sell stuff you can spray on but vinegar (white) and water has always done the job for me. If your house is really old, the walls may not be primed but if it was built after the 60s, think they were.

Reply to
Dorot29701

Test a small spot to see what happens? I know, then how to fix it if there is a problem. Answer, pull out the refrigerator and check it behind there. Problem? Shove the refer back in and forget it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I think most of us come to this forum with good intentions, unlike the idiot who told me to scratch it off with my toenails. I'm going to give it a try and will post my results

Reply to
patga

The same thing happened to me (only one coat of paper though). Not only were the walls not primed or sized, but there was a skim-coat of mud on the wall, half of which came off with the paper. What a mess! I would have been better off gutting the bathroom and starting form studs. I *hate* wallpaper!

Reply to
krw