Removing old grout (no, not SWMBO!)

The grouting between the tiles in my shower cubicle is discoloured - and wasn't done very well by the builder when it was installed 10 years ago - so I want to remove and replace it.
I have tried various attachments on a Dremel-type device, without much success. The litttle discs disappear in double quick time - but make little impression on the grouting. However, one slight slip, and they mark the surface of the tiles. A little conical metal thing with bits of diamond on was slightly better - but most of the diamond bits had gone after going round one tile.
So what *does* one use to chop out the old grouting?
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Set Square wrote:

Never used one, but recall seeing this on Screwfix: http://tinyurl.com/7rrfk (or http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 903&tsa029)
hth David

That looks promising! I need some stuff from ScrewFix anyway - and at under 2 quid a throw, I can afford to push the boat out and buy two!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Hi,
Have you tried cleaning it with a steamer and an abrasive scourer?
cheers, Pete.

No. Problem is that even when it was new, it was off-white rather than white - so I need to replace it rather than restoring it to 'new' condition.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Set Square wrote:

-
but
thing
I dont recommend those grout saws. What I found best was a bradawl. Run it fast back and forth across the joint, and it all breaks up and falls out. Took about 10 seconds per 4" joint.
And you dont need to keep buying replacement groutsaws, one bradawl did the whole job no prob.
When youve done the new grouting, suggest carefully varnishing it with waterproof varnish, or better using a purpose made grout finisher. will save half an eternity in cleaning over the years.
NT

I see. How about softening the grout with a steamer or maybe a descaler like kettle descaler or brick acid, then scraping it out with a flat blade screwdriver or maybe a brass wire brush? If a hook was ground into the blade it might make it easier. Then clean left over grout off with descaler/brush whatever.
BTW if using noxious chemicals to soften the grout, eye protection would be a good idea for the scraping stage or rinse the grout first.
cheers, Pete.