Releasing DH unit from security tape?

Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal. I'm going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've done such a thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to releasing the old glazed unit from the grip of the security tape?

Thanks.

Reply to
Davey

DH? Darling Husband? Too many US-centric forums, I know. But made me chuckle. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Same here. I wasn't the only one, then...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Gel

Damned my fat fingers.

DG! Double glazing :)

Reply to
Davey

In article , Davey writes

It's double sided foam tape, cut the bond using a sharp but flexible knife next to the glass.

Reply to
fred

From past experience (many years ago) Scraper or thin chisel, hammer, dustsheets everywhere and protective clothing, eyeware ect.....

Reply to
Jason

If you have two people, push a piece of thin strong wire through (a cheese wire), and then with one person inside and one outside holding each end, cut through the foam tape with the cheese wire. Watch for the window falling out. The cheesewire will probably knacker the double glazing unit seal, but yours is already, so that doesn't matter. Don't use a rough cutting wire or you might shatter a toughened glass pane and/or mark the uPVC.

When you lift the unit out, be very careful not to ding the corners (particularly against masonary/concrete), as that easily shatters toughened glass, particularly with large windows where you don't get a second chance if you do.

You'll need to clean the remaining window tape off the uPVC frame.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.

Sounds like a job for the SWMBO's nail varnish remover once I've scraped off the excess.

Reply to
Davey

Make sure any solvent doesn't dissolve the uPVC, or you'll likely end up damaging the visible polished surfaces.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel