Recycling Gone Mad

this is how it will be enforced!

have been warned.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We already have a brown wheelie bin for garden waste, a blue box with a red lid for cardboard and plastic, a blue box with yellow lid for cans, a blue box with blue lid for bottles and jars, a blue box (also with blue lid) for paper and a grey wheelie bin for landfill-type stuff that doesn't go in any of the others.

All this was provided by the council, they come and collect the recycleable and non-recyclable stuff on alternat weeks and it was all set up at least four years ago, so to us in Preston, Lancashire, this is old news (apart from the enforcement side of it) and I thought all councils did this now.

Love the YouTube link though :o)

Reply to
Dave

Liked this bit "Reducing the amount of waste sent to landfill is essential if we are to tackle greenhouse gas emissions................"

Reply to
Fredxx

It's the express, calm down.

Reply to
Mike

ARWadsworth wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 12:21

Yeah - if they try that they'll feel the wrong end of the scrap metal I keep by my bins...

the Express (is it true or a "Daily Mailism"?

Reply to
Tim Watts

We have two wheelie bins and a normal black bin now. You put anything like bottles, cans, paper, etc. to recycle in the blue topped one and they sort it latter. The green one takes garden waste. The rest goes to landfill.

It is really easy to recycle when someone else does the sorting.

Reply to
dennis

"the truth as expressed by the Express" is a very strange idea for somebody to have.

Reply to
Clive George

Clive George wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 18:49

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ahem

But, even the Mail has to seed its ideas from something - there's usually a basis for these things, even if it blown up into sensationalism.

And don't forget, if Nu Labour is involved, they're as likely to produce bollocks as the Mail/Express/Sun is to fabricate it! And not discounting that the councils will love it - something else they can get all jobsworthy about, especially if it involves fining victims^H^H^H^H^Hhouseholders.

Reply to
Tim Watts

'A Defra spokesman said: =93This project does not involve fines for householders who fail to recycle and it does not involve going through individual bins. '

So, completely contradicts what the Express invents in the rest of the article, then.

No change there. Let's not forget there is already an election campaign, so we can expect the Express and the Mail to exceed even their usual remarkable levels of mendacity ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 21:50

I wonder how they make the major leaps in fact from one thing to another.

Remember when council men where to come to your house, demand right of entry to take pictures of your window views in order to adjust your council tax? (Daily Mail-ism IIRC).

Anyone ever had a jobsworth with a digital camera do that?

Things that may be worth considering though:

1) The government policy "will they eat it " test - leak something to the (gullible) media and see what the reaction is. Deny everything afterwards. 2) The softening up... Leak something heinous to the (gullible) media then implement what you were going to anyway, which will seem much less bad that the leaked idea, so everyone thinks they're not as badly off as they could have been and teh Daily Wail feels like a winner for the oppressed chattering classes.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Grief. We (Bedford) have a an orange topped wheelie bin for recyclables. That's it. And you don't even have to do that - you can put recyclables into an orange sack in the ordinary wheelie bin if you want.

(Oh, and green topped wheelie bins for compostables. We don't have one of those, since we have a compost heap.)

Reply to
Huge

We (Blaby DC) have black lidded wheelie bin for refuse, green lidded wheelie bin for paper/card, small "daughter" bin hanging off the handle of the paper/card bin for glass bottles/jars, plastic box with yellow lid for tins/plastic bottles and optional (paid for) brown lidded wheelie bin for garden waste.

Still waiting for a purple wheelie bin with pink polkadots to take TetraPaks ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

'Kinell. What was the environmental cost of producing all that plastic?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Stirling Council got its wrists slapped for landfilling its old wheeliebins when it replaced them with shiny new wheeliebins.

Does no-one else have food caddies which are emptied weekly with the recycling to make up for the general bin only being emptied fortnightly?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We have what could be called food caddies. Small bin things intended to be kept in the kitchen. Put the scraps, peelings, etc. into it and take out to the green wheelie for such things. But given the nuisance of keeping that caddy clean and the green wheelie only being emptied fortnightly, I doubt many people do any separation.

Reply to
Rod

It must be something they teach in journalist training camp ;-)

I thought that was a ODPM/prescott brain fart that got quietly forgotten?

That certainly happens.... a problem with government policy making by focus group.

Indeed, chipping away.

Reply to
John Rumm

I doubt things will ever get to that stage. I have however noticed that there is a hardcore group that will recycle nothing. You see their black bin full to the top every other week and then on recycle week there is nothing left outside.

There is one family like that on our street. They have got four bins and only use one of them.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Watts saying something like:

3) The diversion... Well established, but works every time, like a mark being told "Look at that", while their wallet is lifted - ten times in a row; i.e. fabricate a story or blow one up out of all proportion and quietly release some really bad news while the kitty is diverted by the shiny baubles.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes, we dump paper, plastics, cans and glass in the shed and then haul it to the recycling place once a month; paper goes in one heap and plastics/glass/cans in the other, and someone there sorts it all out. We usually take 'normal' rubbish in at the same time (refuse collection is an optional service around here - not mandatory and factored into annual tax).

Kitchen scraps live in a big closed bucket and get dumped on the compost heap when it fills up. "garden" waste just gets hurled into the woods out of sight.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Huge wibbled on Sunday 14 February 2010 10:11

Seeing as the government is into micro managing and telling everyone what to do, perhaps they should try telling every council in the land to implement that.

Reply to
Tim Watts