Recycle builders bag for compost container?

Good Heavens! You must have a huge lawn ...

The worms will get in withut the spent compost ...

They're not daft and they're temperature sensitive so won't go where it's too hot.

My hens prefer them raw. although oddly enough they won't eat worms from the compost heap - which aren't normal earthworms.

Yes, its growth rate suddenly goes exponential at this time of year ...

It will. But the weed will grow again.

Where there's a will ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You can buy compost bins from

-made of some sort of plastic type material-about £9 if i remember -got a lid and a flap at the base to remove the cooked stuff and they are self supporting . The time I had one I just made it from scrap timber with a lid and a bit at the base (front) that you could remove to scoop out the "ready" compost.

I put a bit of old carpet on the top to keep the heat in .You can buy stuff to help it along in the initial stages .

can you use brandling worms ??-u can get them from fishing tackle shops in wee tubs. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In my long experience the right worms will find their way in and make it their home/brothel/maternity unit ... you don't need to introduce them. Honestly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The mfr's data does suggest standing the compost bin onto bare soil, and nature will do the rest. But one serious problem with doing that (around here anyway) is that it attracts rats, who find it easy to dig a small entry hole under lip of the bin, and there they are, got themselves a nice, warm nest, with plenty of worms in the pantry.... Billy Butlins.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I reckon that if rats want to get into anything less than a very substantial plastic or, of course, metal container they will.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article ,

The best compost bin we ever had was a simple kit of 5x squares of strong mesh wire, about 48x48" per side, and with about a 1" mesh. Clip together the 4 sides, then the base. Fill the thing up, turn your back on it, and the level had sunk. Took a couple of years to finally fill it. When dug out there were thousands of tiny red worms at the bottom. Are they what are called Tiger worms?

Reply to
Tony Williams

I've no idea. All I know is that they're not earthworms and our hens won't eat them. They smell like the ones I used to use for angling (fifty years ago and I don't think they were given names then) but the smell might not be exclusive to one type of worm. A rose by any other name ...

As long as they do the dibs it's not important, is it? I was about to suggest asking u.r.g. then noticed that this is crossposted!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher