Feeding spent container soil to compost worms

depends on whjat there is left in the soil for the worms to eat & how long you want to sit the soil. If there is little organic matter in the soil there is sod all for the worms to eat & you will likely get little worm activity or benefit, in my humble opinion. Mixing some 1/2 finished backyard compost, leaf mould or poop into the soil will give the worms something to eat & boost their numbers, turn over your soil & enrich it with worm poo. Keep the mixture damp & the worms will reward you. If you are prepared to wait 3-4 months maybe mix in some lawn clippings or kitche scraps & the worms can go to worm there. You will need longer than with compost as the organic matter is fresh.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Low levels of fertilizer salts, no Miracle Gro, feeding my container veggies organically (Espoma PlantTone) and rarely at all, with very good results. The (not cheap) soil at harvest's end is still good, save for the dead roots and whatever slight fertilizer buildup I did get from the Espoma. Is it possible to rejuvenate the soil by letting compost worms work it over for a couple of months?

Reply to
Frank

- OR -

Grow a nitrogen fixer, pulses or clover, or alfalfa. If you don't have time, get alfalfa pellets to lay on the soil. The soil web (microscopic flora and fauna) needs to be fed. You may want to sprinkle a little sugar on the the beds as well, to jump start the populations.

Reply to
Billy

Unless your composter is really hard up for material there's isn't much benefit in recomposting that which is likely already well composted... makes much more sense to work used potting soil into your outdoor beds where it will do some good lightening the soil and it will decompose further anyway.

Reply to
Sheldon