Receiver/relay box for central heating dead?

I have had a Honeywell CM927 Wireless Thermostat operating the heating boiler without a problem for the last ~8 years.

This morning, after trying to turn the heating on - it is quite cold outside, so I thought it a good time to see that everything works - the heating would not start...

I set the target temperature on the thermostat to very high (25c, room temp is

Reply to
JoeJoe

I have had a Honeywell CM927 Wireless Thermostat operating the heating

I have had a Honeywell CM927 Wireless Thermostat operating the heating

If its the same as my sons remove the receiver from the back plate then link terminals A and B together on the back plate. If the boiler lights, the problem is in the receiver.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Thanks a lot!

Done that and the boiler lights, so a new receive is on order.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I recall seeing similar problems with a programmer that could only keep its relay energised for a few seconds.

On that one it had a very crude PSUs - basically the circuit hanging off the mains via a dropper circuit and a bit rectification and smoothing. The small(ish) smoothing cap was to blame. Swapping it for a new electrolytic fixed it.

Reply to
John Rumm

I was going to suggest a visual check for bulging caps.

On a different point I wonder if many wireless thermostats send the current status to the receiver at intervals? My "Celect" does not, so when it is no longer calling for heat, if, due to interference etc, the receiver does not decode the "OFF" command the heating could be on all night.

Worse still, on a couple of occasions it has spontaneously been commanded "ON" when the room stat has been in frost protection mode, this is in the middle of summer. I must change the dip switch settings when I get round tuit.

Reply to
Graham.

I might have a receiver coming free shortly.

The display on my CM927 has partially died, so (as advised from this NG) I am about to replace it with a Plumb{something} own badged older version.

If it all goes well then you are welcome to the receiver for the cost of postage (can nominate a charity if you are feeling a few pounds more generous).

Depends, of course, on getting the other thermostat working.

I suspect you may have to struggle to get just the receiver - I only found complete systems when looking for the thermostat part.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Ordered the receiver unit online at 11:30 yesterday, arrived at 8:30 this morning (seller in London, I'm in Scotland). all was working again by 8:45 ;-)

Thanks again for the advice.

PS: tried some local plumbing/heating large suppliers earlier yesterday

- prices ranged from £85 to £105 (PlumbCentre), but none had it in stock. I paid £40 (inc delivery), and was happy to be reminded why I try to avoid those places at all cost - quote 3x the price, and then start with the "lets see what I can do just for you, just today, etc...

Reply to
JoeJoe

Thanks a lot for the kind offer, but just bought and installed a new one.

I found that the key to finding the receiver on offer is to know the part number, and then Google is really your friend.

Thanks again anyway.

Reply to
JoeJoe