Re: Tricky Heck!

Page 2 of 2
On 3 Jul 2003 21:41:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Good advice - thanks.
Andrew
On 3 Jul 2003 21:41:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Actually, you've just made me wonder if on buying an SDS, might it be better off using the old hammer first, and switch to SDS when the going gets too tough for it. The thought I'm having is that you'd get it started gentler and possibly more accurate based on your comment above, and presumably conserve the life of both tools a little better too. Granted it'd be a bit more messing about to do it though.
Not been SDS route yet, so it's only a guess.
Take Care, Gnube

An SDS drill won't engage the 'hammer' action without pressure. So if you're unsure how hard the masonry is, start with gentle pressure. If the drill goes in as it will in soft material it won't damage anything.
--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

My brand new Hitachi DH24PC is sitting on the desk next to me as I write 8^)
Probably overkill for my needs, but the juicy staff-discount was too good to resist. Can't wait to get home and find something to drill/demolish!
Ben
--
Ben Edgington <><
Note that email to snipped-for-privacy@edginet.org is discarded. However,
Christian McArdle wrote:

The bit in a hammer drill should not wobble from side to side. Yours sounds broken, or worn out.
________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 19:18:20 +0100, "Gripfill John"

Well you do have to start dropping those hints early.... ;)
And especially if 'er indoors needs to so some secretive research to find out exactly what an SDS drill is all about.
Andrew
On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:30:56 +0100, Andrew McKay

And talking about 'er indoors I should add that it would probably be a good idea to keep the SDS drill under lock and key. My wife decided she needed a pair of pliers to tighten up a small nut, so I wasn't around and she found a pair in my toolbox.
Unfortunately she figured that my sharpest pair of electronic sidecutters was what she was after. Blunted the edges of those sidecutters. Grr.....
Andrew

Heh heh - I remember my mother deciding to lift the stair carpet for the decorators. It was held on by those flip down brackets at either side of each tread, but she wanted the treads painted behind them. And used my 'best' screwdriver. Which was my best wood chisel.
In case you're wondering why she just didn't ask me or father to do it - he was at work and I was at school. And nothing waited for mother.
--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

She was prolly getting you back for the time you destroyed her best dressmaking scissors when you were a kid
--
geoff

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:04:38 +0100, Dave Plowman

I can better that one! When I was young (I suppose about 12) our next door neighbour popped round and asked if he could borrow a chisel. Dad was in the RAF so wasn't around, so without thinking further I sorted out a nice wood chisel from Dads toolbox.
The next day the neighbour returned the chisel which looked as though it might have seen better days. The neighbour explained that he'd managed to knock down his brick-partitioned parlour and thanked me for loaning the chisel. Obviously he'd wanted a cold chisel, not a wood chisel.
I was not popular with Dad when he found out :)
Andrew
"Gripfill John" wrote | Oh-Oh, It's only just July and we have our first mention of Sant.... | can't even bring myself to say it!
QVC's telly guide (stars 30th June) lists a full day of C'mas Shop on Thursday 24th July.
Best get those requests for useful presents in early before the present budget is all spent on a George Foreman Electric Sock Press or whatever it is they'll be selling.
Owain