Re-Skimming Advice

Hi,

We are decorating our spare room and want to have nice smooth walls to paint directly onto with emulsion. The house is 1930's but has been reconfigured internally a few times to our knowledge.

We've removed the old wallpaper and the walls appear to be in generally sound condition. The walls appear to be plaster throughout and it looks like they've previously been painted directly onto. In one or two places they've had touch-up jobs done on the plaster, a few raw plugs from shelves, a touch-up job where an old picture-rail has been removed. There's also one corner where a built-in cupboard has been removed and the corner has been re-boarded and plastered and this area is flaking somewhat where the old plaster has come away from the board a bit.

So, none of these things are drastic but all in all I have guessed that what we need is a re-skim. However, I'm no expert on this and I wondered if these things could be sorted out with Polyfilla and sanding? At what point do you know that a re-skim is required?

And if we do go for a re-skim, how should we prepare the walls? I've heard that unibond PVA and water mix should be painted on the walls, but what about the area where the old cupboard was and the previous touch-up plaster has flaked off?

Finally, what should we expect to pay for a full re-skim on room aprrox 12 feet x 7 feet in size, including the ceiling?

Your help and info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Thelwell

remove any freallt crinbly bits, and PVA teh rest to make sure it is binded together and wont fall off, and get some "Polyskim" if DIY'ing..

Otherwise get in a plasterer...probably a days work so £150?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've already asked you about plasterers in person, but if you bump into one who will work for 150/day send them my way. That's considerably less than I just paid for my kitchen, though the plasterer did work longer than a standard day.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

I had 2 for that price, and that was in London. Spoke no English but did a superb job, and left the place spotless. I rather like the global economy.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You will - until you're out of a job!

Reply to
Tosh

Can't have it all ways

Reply to
Stuart Noble

"Stuart Noble" wrote

You're probably paying twice for their service........ Once directly to do the job Once in taxation to cover the dole money, income support, housing benefit etc they are also claiming! (Get ready to duck when the barrage starts from all the foreign imigrant huggers)

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 08:28:42 +0100, "TheScullster" mused:

Sounds about right.

Fuck 'em.

Reply to
Lurch

Indeed. Those polish girls are ..pretty delectable. But my money is on the Hungarian ones..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A Sun reader I assume.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

They're all more attractive than your average English female

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And if they can do plastering as well ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah yes...domestic bliss, really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:30:09 +0100, The Natural Philosopher mused:

My mate married a Polish lass on Saturday.

Reply to
Lurch