Re: Screeching bicycle brakes

A perennial problem. Two possibilities: try sand papering the faces of the new blocks.
Clean the rim with white spirit and vigorous rubbing, rubber from the old blocks adhering to the rim can cause the problem too.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

steel
squealing?
Have you tried a drop of oil?
I'll get me coat......
You beat me to that post!

WD40 works for me
Mike R
Andy Clews typed the following
<snip>

First you have to determine what sort of brakes you have then try this site for some pointers :- http://www.leucadiabikes.com/MechanicsCorner.html
I would think from the age of your bike cantilever rather than V-brakes are indicated. May be something around here that lets you now what type of brake it is :- http://www.sheldonbrown.org/brakes/ Happy hunting.
--
yours K (Addy not usable [not that you would try it anyway])
There wis a Hare ran tae a burn it ran sae fast it couldnae turn

As might loose wheel bearings or slightly loose front forks come to that. The latter would explain the discrepancy between front and back.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

Loose where the forks join to the frame? That always used to be the problem when I was a kid. Oh that's just reminded me of my first bike which had the solid rod brakes.
Apologies for the delay in acknowledging, but thanks to all for your useful tips and advice. I'll give it a go this weekend. I think I'll give the 'oil' suggestion a miss though, if it's all the same to you ;-)
Cheers!
--
Andy Clews University of Sussex Computing Service
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)
Andy Clews wrote:

Hello, Just joined the newsgroup and have only just seen this thread. I'll be asking lots of really basic questions about putting up shelves ;-)
Meths is a good cleaner for rims and blocks. If got cantilever brakes and certain blocks, there's a chance that the blocks are on upside down. In any case, I would try different blocks even if existing ones are of "correct" type for the rim (in fact, leather-faced ones for steel rims can squeal terribly sometimes when old).
Ultimately, you'll get better braking from an alloy-rimmed wheel so a new wheel would make sense anyway. Those old steel ones are dreadful! There are plenty of 2nd-hand front wheels around if you don't think the bike deserves a brand-new one. If it's a 27", a metric 700c will be fine if the brake blocks can be lowered by 4mm.
~PB
Thus spake Pete Biggs unto the assembled multitudes:

You'll be in good company then.

The blocks I bought do have leather facings, and they're new!

Mine has a 26" wheel. I don't think there is any room for adjustment of the height of the brake blocks. It wasn't exactly the priciest bike in the shop even then.
I take your point, but I use the bike infrequently (and mostly for practical purposes rather than recreation), so I'm not sure it's worth shelling out for a replacement alloy, although if I happen across a secondhand one I'll consider it.
I got so fed up with the screeching that I've retro-fitted some old rubber blocks which still have plenty of meat on them, and hey presto! I'm back to blissful silence. However I do intend to clean the rims and give the new blocks another try.
Thanks for your helpful comments.