The possibilities.....

I've just realised that the porch outside the front door is inside the house so the far end of the little bedroom is directly over it.

Now there must be something I can do with this.

Simple thing like putting access in the bedroom floor so I can install stuff like a web cam to check out door knockers.

A water spray to discourage chuggers.

Chute for boiling oil/lead in case we are besieged.

Dumb waiter to take packages straight from the front door up to the office.

The possibilities are endless.

Including an escape hatch and folding ladder in case we lose the front door key :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Any sort of knockers for that matter.

I would go for that for the chuggers. Add a portcullis for the siege.

A bit posh. What is wrong with a bucket on a rope?.

or need a fire escape route.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Could be a new business in prospect here.

If that is the bedroom and you have a hard standing outside, then why not a Thunderbird style loading system straight from bedroom to car?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do you mean something like this when you say the porch is inside the house?

If so, the best thing you can do is make sure that there is some insulation under the floorboards above the porch.

Reply to
ARW

I'm just wondering how long it took you to spot this? :)

Funnily enough - for anyone who read my thread earlier in the week "DIY car spray paint? not available from dealer or Halfords" asking for advice on how to sort my daughter's car which had been keyed - the incident happened not 200 yards from the above house.

Reply to
Lobster

I only gave that a link as I have a friend that lives on that street (the link was not to his house) and I fitted a flush PIR sensor and a light in his "indoor porch".

Reply to
ARW

Could be a mirror image of our 3 bed semi :-)

Insulation under floors is part of the schedule.

Just wondering what quirky things could be done with the inside/outside situation.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Pair of switched 13 amp sockets in the porch ceiling for those tasteful Christmas decorations?

Saves drilling brick.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Most people add a new front door and make it part of the inside!

At my friends I added a flush mounted PIR and a light.

Reply to
ARW

We haven't (so far) decided that the cost of installing another door gives enough benefit.

It would increase insulation and possibly security and give a (minimal) extra indoor area but none of these benefits seem pressing.

Of course, we would also lose the chance to pour boiling oil on barbarian invaders :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

A relative had a bungalow with an inset portch like that. His wife was obviously very understanding.

He walled up the front of the porch. Extended the front path to the side door, and remodelled to have a little hallway.

The porch area? It was now a small room with a door from the extended living room. His radio shack.

Reply to
Bob Eager