Re: Rot? in eaves cupboard

> >Any ideas of what this might be/sensible questions to ask before I call > >in the professionals so I don't get ripped off, please? > > Are the voids properly ventilated? A bodge job might have left the voids > totally sealed, which will lead to problems. You need lots of ventilation at > the eaves, a gap between the room and the roof covering and ridge > ventilation. Is there any evidence of this?

It's hard to say. The voids have been insulated to the gills and then boarded over on the floor and internal walls, and that brittle tar-papery-stuff on the roof. I suspect that the insulation has been shoved into every possible oriface; it was definitely sauna-like when I stuck my head in there during the hot weather. I'm going up there this weekend to dig out the eaves, at the least. Viewed from the outside there are modern roof vents, but it's hard to say if they're venting the void space or going between the floorboards.

Reply to
Richard

That sounds very like rising damp. Salts are drawn up by capillary action and when the water evaporates crystals form. It was in my childhood home. If that is in your roofspace it is hardly being drawn from the ground, so is there anywhere moisture could be getting in? Could fascia or soffits be damaged, or even a blocked guttering?

Reply to
Suz