Re: PVC conservatory

Bruce posted:

Hi, > I'm struggling to figure out which bits are which in a self build > conservatory. > > attached (hopefully it worked) is a picture of the sill on the brickwork > in the instructions. The instructions say "use a packer if required", > between bricks and sill. I can't figure out which bits are the packer > mentioned. > > does anyone recognise these bits.... I think some of them are supposed to > be packers for the glazing to allow a small airgap.

Both the bits you pictured can be used as packers, indeed one actually says packer on it .. ;) They may not be necessary, depends on how the sill sits on the brickwork. The packer is used to level the base of the sill so that the external top surface 'slopes' down naturally for drainage.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thank Paul, guess I'm just feeling a bit jittery... I got a bit confused when the instructions said "packer if required" but another section says "With the aid of packing pieces, level the cill assembly with approx

5mm clearance between it and the brickwork"

to me this sounded like they actually wanted the whole cill to be raised off the brickwork... I think I'll just use the occasional few of these plastic strips to level out the cill.

kind regards Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Ella

Bruce Ella posted:

In many cases only one or two packers will be needed, in some cases none at all, in some cases many will be needed. It's hard to say really, depends what the levels are like on the base wall.

No, it doesn't all need to be raised, an occasional few, if necessary for level and to ensure the outside slopes away, should do nicely .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx