Re: Presents for toddlers.

Page 2 of 3

Wasn't the bump a bit of a clue? :-)
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:58:16 +0000, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"

Believe it or not the 'bump' you refer to is not always as prominent as you might think.
PoP
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:58:16 UTC, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"

I realised the abiguity afterwards...!
She's over forty, no kids, and they've long said they didn't want any. But it was apparently planned (as much as that pair ever plan anything...)
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
"Andy Hall" wrote | Personally, I believe that every toddler needs a trumpet and a drum | for Christmas - they'll feel deprived without them. | Their parents certainly shouldn't miss out on the experience of a | toddler with a trumpet and a drum either, and of course if you have | two toddlers they'll each need them.
It's never too early to start them off with a practice chanter, and it will encourage them on to, er, louder, things.
Owain

The other 'must' is lots of indelible felt pens.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
: The other 'must' is lots of indelible felt pens. :
Or washable pens. Washable? Hah!
Suz wrote:

Pens and children, a wonderful mix.
http://jameshart.mine.nu/ngs/markers.jpg
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /

It's that look of triumphant achievement on the toddler's face that makes this picture..... :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:06:17 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

And the "oh no, not again" look on the babies face.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

That's a classic photo!! That will make my wife feel better about baby sister being mauled by big sister, yours was much worse than ours!
--
Tim Mitchell

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:58:17 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

No problem with the drum ours have, ELC jobbie and a decent tone. Of course the other thing about a drum is they have to wave their arms about and they get tired...
A trumpet (with a reed, I don't think a toddler could manage a real trumpet) just needs to be placed in the mouth and normal breathing does the rest and being a reed won't sound nice.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I have seen Thomas Tank Engine ones in ELC. An engine is about 20, or 25 if it has a tender. Non powered engines are 10, or 15 with a tender. The battery powered one we have is die cast metal.
Bob

Talking of non powered ones...
My Son wanted Thomas for his largish Tesco layout. No problem.
ELC wanted 10 quid for the engine and then 10 quid for each carrage. This is compared to 4 quid for ones without Thomas logos...
Bought a Thomas and Annie - the only two they had at the time. 20 quid. Got home, looked at the catalogue and discovered that for 25 quid you can get a figure of 8 track, a bridge, thomas and two carriages...and you get a choice of another free engine/wagon as well.
Went back, swapped it. 25 quid for 40 quids worth of rolling stock and a free track (well, 25 quid for about 2 quids worth of wood but you get the idea...)
Darren
On 22 Dec 2003 05:56:43 -0800, Juxtapositioned wrote:

'till he opens it. Neither can the 9-y.o. The packaging

http://adultpersonalinteractions.com/go/p185 .
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On 22 Dec 2003 05:56:43 -0800, Juxtapositioned wrote:
<sorry was that the wrong button...?>

A spindle moulder with suitably shaped blades. Mould the ends before spliting down into track thickness bits and routing the track groves. Note the profile of those as well, it's not just a channel it's a champhered channel.
A coping saw could do it by hand but it would still be quite fiddly and unlikely to produce such a good finish.

Probably easier than the track. 5/8" dowel cut into slices for wheels brass dome head tacks to attach wheels to a body block. Other bits stuck on to make wagons, engine (boiler from more dowel) etc.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
"Juxtapositioned" wrote | 1) A plastic "Daisy the duck" - remote controlled quacking duck | for use in the bath or on the floor. The 9-y.o. suggested that | it *might* be suitable for a 2-y.o., and I quite agree. | I can't wait 'till he opens it. Neither can the 9-y.o.
Hmmm. Is it too late to add a PS on my letter to Santa ... I hope he's kept his CORGI registration up to date otherwise he won't be able to get past the gas fire.
| 2) A big bag of "Megga Blocks" to go with his current small | collection. *Why*, why do these come in a large unperforated | stiff plastic bag ideal for children to put their heads into??
I think that is one to follow up with Trading Standards.
| 3) A wooden railway-track like thing, which would presumably | be easy to make out of beech. How to cut the jigsaw-like | connecters between sections, though?? Some wheeled things to | push around the track.
Ahh, memories. I wonder if I've still got mine.
Owain

he
rechargeable
Maybe something to do with the lower voltage (as someone else mentioned). I would not put rechargables in a childs toy that it is possible to leave on anyway. A deeply discharged cell is difficult to nurse back to health, if it is not totally damaged.

Lax Canadian safety laws? Does it say "remove all packaging before giving to a child" ? Maybe the thick PVC bag is not covered by dangerous plastic bag laws.

You could use a jigsaw... They are a loose fit - the track sections move by about 10 degrees, so you don't need to be that accurate. Some brands use a plastic "ball on a stick" inserted into a hole in the end instead.
Bob

Two guess come to mind...
NiCd's can deliver enough current to start a fire when shorted out (possibly if toy was broken). Many years ago in the days of pagers before mobile phones existed, someone I knew walked into something. Some seconds later, he ended up with a burned leg where the crushed pager was trying to set light to his trousers.
NiCd's have nasty chemicals. You probably don't want to be eating any batteries, but I would imaging NiCd's could be particularly nasty.
--
Andrew Gabriel

All batteries have nasty chemicals. A battery is basically a nasty chemical between 2 different metal plates.
NiCds are worse for the environment than NiMh, and disposable ones are worse than NiCd because of the number of them you will use.
Bob
Juxtapositioned wrote in

It does seem a bit potty. We put a few holes in the bottom, using a hole punch.
--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three