Re: New lighting circuit problem - help please!

> > I've just been rewiring my lighting circuit upstairs, during which I have > > fitted a globe light either side of the bathroom mirror (they are > > bathroom-rated). Each light is controlled (or should be!) independently > by > > its own pull-cord. Therefore I fed a live feed from the attic down inside > > the bathroom wall (stud partition) to the position of the 1st light, then > > extended accross to the position of the 2nd light. So before fitting the > > lamps I had two cables sticking out of the wall at position 1, and one > cable > > sticking out at position 2. > > > > I've now just fitted the two lights. If I switch on one light, it works > > fine. But switch on the second as well, and it comes on at only half > > brightness, and the first light dims to the same level too. Obviously > I've > > done something wrong, but before I spend ages up in the roofspace again > > grovelling around under the Rockwool checking all my wiring, could anybody > > give me any pointers as to what the problem is? I'm hoping this will be > a > > no-brainer to one of you experts out there. I know it seems like the > lamps > > are wired in series rather than in parallel, but I don't see how that > could > > have happened with this configuration. > > > > Thanks!! > > Dave > The 3 live feed conductors, L, N & earth should be connected to 1st light > postion and to the same conductors in the cable feeding the 2nd light > position ... what could be simpler? > I fear you may have something nasty with current possibly going through the > earth wire... >

What you thought was a live feed in the loft is a switch wire. Does a lights in another room glow dimly when you turn on the bathroom lights?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Most likely is you haven't used a feed off the lighting radial circuit, but one off a switch pair. So the new lights are in series with another in the house. To prove this, switch all the other lights in the house on. If your new ones don't work at all, my theory is correct.

Also, with both switched on so they are at half brightness, look for another light somewhere that is also, when it's actually switched off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fantastic, you were absolutely right (but then you knew that, didn't you?!!). Many thanks for sorting me out. Dave

Reply to
Dave P

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:04:58 GMT, "Dave P" strung together this:

When I first started out as an apprentice wiring hundreds of new houses at once the daft-lad and labourer that I was working with used to do this all the time, just sort of sticks in your mind!

Glad I could be of assistance. :-)

Reply to
Lurch