Re: New controller makes ceiling fan noisy

I recently installed a ceiling fan in my bedroom.

> I don't know the make, but I got it from TLC - 48in white fan. > It came with a four-speed wall-mounted controller. > > It works fine except that the slowest speed was somewhat faster than I would > like. The motor is almost imperceptible at low speed. > > I spotted a fan controller in B&Q, looking very like a rotary light dimmer > but with a picture of a fan on the knob. I bought one and fitted it instead > of that supplied with the fan. The fan then had a slower minimum speed, as > wanted, but the noise from the motor was excessive even at slowest setting. > At faster speeds it became even louder. I refitted the original

controller,

in case something had gone wrong with the fan, and the noise was back to > normal. > > What is going on? > > -- > Chris Melluish >

The output from the controller may be of a waveform that doesn't suit the motor. AIUI something like a squarewave instead of a sine wave.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Light dimmers buzz and can cause the fitting to buzz too at low levels. Same with electronic control of a motor if you try and slow it too much. There's also a real risk of damage if you slow it too far.

Different windings are the correct way to alter the speed at a reasonable cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)