Noisy ceiling fan

A couple of years ago I installed a ceiling fan in our bedroom (a cheapo one from B&Q). Every time it operates, there is a distinct "hum" coming from the unit. Very annoying if you are trying to get some decent kip! The fan is connected to the lighting circuit with a normal switch (not a dimmer switch).

It sounds like a mains hum from the motor, or possibly vibration from the motor. Was wondering if anyone can suggest something I can do to reduce or get rid of this noise. Or should I have not been so tight and purchased a decent fan in the first place :-)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Taylor

Buy some longer screws and don't tighten them up to much. Allow a bit of play on the main fixing bracket and it should quieten it down a lot. Having them hung from bits of chain also helps. But the best way is to get your hands on some of the little fixing feet which they use for under fridge compressors. Fit one side to the ceiling and the other to the main bracket, and it makes a hell of a difference.

I personally use the compressor feet, which I get from an appliance reclamation yard. Make up a metal plate with thin flat bar, or dexion racking stuff, drill it to suit your ceiling fixings and drill two hole to match the fan bracket. Because the fridge compressor feet are bolt on, then bolt one end to plate for the ceiling and the other end to fan bracket. Wire it all up and switch on and you'll think you've gone deaf because you wont hear a thing.

Works wonders here after the complaints from the up stairs neighbours. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

I have similar - I have a silent fan in what is now the spare room/study, and an almost identical, in terms of looks/colours/features, one in the bedroom, which is prone to emitting a humming whining sound.

I wanted the same make - that's what I thought I was buying, given the almost identical look and specs - but it wasn't until I'd got it assembled and about to fit the fan unit to the ceiling hanger assembly that I realised it was a different make.

No come-back on B&Q I thought (but now wonder after all) at the time to fitted it, then once I heard it I wished I'd just taken it back down, packed up again, and returned for a refund...

If you want the make of the silent one, let me know and I'll dig it out.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet