Re: Halogen GLS bulbs. any thoughts?

Not wishing to start yet another incandescent vs CFL debate but

> suffice to say I'm not a fan CFLs - I've been trying to give them a > fair chance but for various reasons just can't get on with them. So, > whilst I have a fair stock of spare incandescents I've been on the > lookout for more for new fittings etc and am struggling to find them. > > I then stumbled across the halogen GLS bulb type e.g. > >
> Has anyone had much experience of them? A search of the group archives > brings up very little yet it seems they've been around for a good > couple of years? > > For those that aren't familiar, they're seem to be basically a halogen > capsule inside a standard GLS globe. They're dimmable, provide a > similar colour temperature to incandescents, use 30% less energy and > supposedly last longer. That pretty much ticks all the boxes for me. > I've also found the appearance of the clear lamp types to be rather > appealing too but I don't know if that's my 'engineering' bias kicking > in! > > For me they're the end of the search - I'll be stocking up on these > from now on. Is there something I'm missing? > > Mathew >

I love 'em - I find the colour rendering from CFLs/LEDs apalling[1] but the halogens are as good as / better than trad' tungstens in that respect, and they don't "strobe" rotating machinery, so they're now the standard fit in the Shed of Danger (mostly in bulkhead luminaires or Danglepoise lamps) other than the lathe light (12V 50W halogen after changing the bulb holder and transformer). They dim pretty well, although as another poster has mentioned it *does* reduce their lifespan. They seem a touch more rugged than trad' tungstens which regularly used to pop when I attended to the roofing felt (big hammer and clout nails). ASDA have them on special offer fairly regularly, not as cheap as the subsidised CFLs though!

Dave H,

Reply to
Dave H.

Dimming should increase life span.

Tungsten deposition on envelope walls dosen`t happen really, wall temp means they are kept scoured for most of lamps life, if its a concern a few mins a week at full blast will clean them.

Explo, non passive failure of the envelope taking out outer bubble in a 40W is not as bad as 2kW T class bubble blowing the front out of a fresenel....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby