GLS bulbs?

A floor lamp I'm thinking of buying is advertised as requiring a "GLS" bulb. What sort of bulb is this? I haven't come across the name previously. Is it just a fancy designation for an ordinary, old-fashioned, run-of-the-mill light bulb, or is it something new?

Thanks.

Bert

Bert Coules

Google is your friend.

ben

Ben,

search for "GLS" brings up both "general purpose lamps" and "energy saving lamps" - I'm none the wiser...

Bert

Bert Coules

"general purpose lamps" is what it requires anything below a 100w for standard lamps.

Reply to
ben

GLS = General Lighting Service

In other words a normal, common or garden light bulb.

Reply to
Matt Beard

"General Light Service"

Reply to
ben

Just an old-fashioned normal bulb! "General Lighting Service"

Reply to
Frank Erskine

A GLS, or General Lighting Service Bulb is just a standard bulb, they are usually ES (Edison Screw or BC (Bayonet Connection) - BC seems to be the most common in the UK.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

When using a google a helpful hint is to use the define keyword. Just type define:gls into google and you get the answer.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

"Matt Beard" wrote

I think they say this to mean 'don't use energy saving or halogen'.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Thanks to everyone who responded. Illuminating.

And separate thanks to Mr Fizzion: I didn't know about using "define:" in Google.

Bert

Bert Coules

Yes. General Lighting Service. The sort you buy in packs in a supermarket.

It's a term which has been in use for many years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many fittings designed for GLS can use either CFLs or mains halogen - provided the wattage rating isn't exceeded (and it can physically fit), as both will run colder than an equivalent GLS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, no-one told me. I'm afraid that to me there are just "light bulbs" - that's the say, the proper kind - and all the new-fangled modern stuff with fancy names. In my poor restricted mind, real light bulbs don't need any name beyond just that: light bulb.

Bert

Bert Coules

Of course in some places you can still buy the old heavy bulbs.

Reply to
Matt Beard

That's good news. I thought they were completely obsolete. They used to be very useful for getting the kinks out of the bit of flex that dangles from the ceiling rose.

Bert

Bert Coules

Speaking of which, is it still possible to get maroon braided twisted twin flex?

I used to have some of this which had pvc insulation rather than rubber, so the stuff can't be *that* obsolete :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Possibly, but not officially for mains use.

Unfortunately twisted twin (or even figure-8) isn't legal any more as mains flexes have to have separate insulation and sheath. Which is a shame as twisted twin was rather useful for 100V loudspeaker connections, as you could pin through the flex at any point.

You could get some maroon single PVC flex from somewhere like RS, take two lengths and a power drill and twist it yourself.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There are so many types it's surely obvious that they will have designations to differentiate them? And the 'real light bulb' has had many changes throughout its life. Started as vacuum 'filled' carbon filament. But I doubt you'd find one of those these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Christopher Wray used to sell it by the metre last time I wanted some (at least the gold/brass coloured version -- not sure about maroon). Cheap, it wasn't.

The current stuff is two sheathed and cotten covered singles, to confirm to current regs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel