Re: Book about building your own deck

On 6 Aug 2003 04:37:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@julianwoolford.com (julian woolford) wrote:

If you're in Norway, then you have a plentiful suply of good timber and a climate that's low on rot. The UK books I've seen with "deck" in the title are all about assembling factory-made wooden meccano that's dyed bright green with poisons. Not the sort of thing I'd want to live with afterwards.
I think a book on timber framing might be more useful, with a little additional advice on designing a deck, how big to make railings etc.
Jack Sobon's "Timber Frame Construction" (Amazon.com product link shortened) is one of the best intros to the techniques.
Given its parentage (publisher and author) I'd expect this to be worth a look, but haven't yet read it myself. (Amazon.com product link shortened)

This site gives many of the basic facts and some how to's, so you might be of some interest :
http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur05.htm
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

This guy does patio work and obviously doesn't like decking.
Decking is easy to install and looks the part if done well. If the garden is inclined then decking is easy to step. No wet trade skills are required, just a drop saw, drill/driver and some hand tools.