Re: Book about building your own deck

I'm looking to buy a good guide to building your own deck

If you're in Norway, then you have a plentiful suply of good timber and a climate that's low on rot. The UK books I've seen with "deck" in the title are all about assembling factory-made wooden meccano that's dyed bright green with poisons. Not the sort of thing I'd want to live with afterwards.

I think a book on timber framing might be more useful, with a little additional advice on designing a deck, how big to make railings etc.

Jack Sobon's "Timber Frame Construction"

one of the best intros to the techniques.

Given its parentage (publisher and author) I'd expect this to be worth a look, but haven't yet read it myself.

Andy Dingley

This site gives many of the basic facts and some how to's, so you might be of some interest :

BigWallop

Decking is easy to install and looks the part if done well. If the garden is inclined then decking is easy to step. No wet trade skills are required, just a drop saw, drill/driver and some hand tools.

Reply to
IMM