Re: Air Conditioning unit advice wanted

Page 2 of 2
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Common misconception I think - IIUC the power rating of the aircon relates to how much heat it can *move*, not how much electrical power it consumes.
Since these things simply move heat from one place to another, they can appear to be more than 100% efficent. i.e. you will often find a 2kW air con will consume say 800W of electrical power.
(this is why the heat pump versions can be quite economical when used for heating in the winter - they are reclaiming more "free" heat from outside than they consume doing it).
--
Cheers,

John.

I've been looking at these as well, thanks for the extra info... However in the true DIY spirit I was also thinking about somehow using the existing plumbing and radiators to do the job. If you pumped very cold water around the house would this actually generate any coolness from the radiators? Any other ideas for cooling the whole house (split ac's are good but only designed for one room?)
Mat

They certainly aren't only designed for one room.

The water would have to be so cold to start off with, it would be ice! Think of all that condensation, dripping onto your carpets too!
S.

take a look at http://www.globalcooling.org.uk/index.html lots of split units and very helpful on the phone - i will be buying from them later this year
gin

You would need fanned radiators, and you would need something to collect the condensate. Then you just invented a fancoil unit. Also, you need to insulate all the pipework very much better than you ever do with central heating, otherwise you will have condensate dripping off every tiny gap or crack in the insulation, looking rather like it's all leaking.
--
Andrew Gabriel