Re: Adjusting UPVC front door.

I need to adjust my front door, as it's not locking properly (can't turn

> the key to lock it, because the hook arms are not engaging in the frame > correctly).

Are you able to elaborate on exactly how they are not engaging?

Reason I ask is that what needs adjusting depends on what movement you are requiring.

The hinge adjusters you photographed move the door in/out from the hinge hence, if the door is closed, they would adjust how close/far it is from the frame and ensure it is square. Adjustment is just a simple case of turning the screws with an allen key (usually) - one way will move the door closer to the hinger, the other further away.

However, if the hook arms are not engaging because the door isn't closing far enough (at the top, bottom, or both) then this is more likely due to the guides in the door frame not guiding the rollers correctly with the result that the hook arms end up fouling the frame.

Can you take a picture if the inside of the door frame showing where the hooks and rollers engage?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Diagonals are spot on, so I don't think this is the problem in this case.

Reply to
MarkG

More pictures here:

have checked the door is square by measuring the corners, and it is, I have played with the hinge alignment, and I couldn't get the door to engage properly regardless, so it's back where it was (I marked everything before I started adjusting).

The problem is, the key won't turn fully (it's definitely related to where is engages in the frame, as the key turns properly if you lock it with the door open).

I don't know which point it catching thou.

Reply to
MarkG

These doors usually only lock properly when the handle is moved *up* as far as it will go in order to engage the sliders. I assume that you

*are* doing that?
Reply to
Roger Mills

Does the metalwork on the frame providing the lock location points run the full height of the door? If not, you may be able to get the vertical adjustment there.

You would get a little vertical lift if you adjusted top towards the hinge (on the allen screws) and bottom away.

You may be able to see witness marks if you examine it closely. If not, try trapping some carbon paper, or using a little paste which would leave a visible mark.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes, indeed. Can you still get engineers' blue? Maybe nail varnish would work - anything which will coat the surfaces so that you can see where it rubs off.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , MarkG writes

I just re-read this post and I think the hinges you have are Patriot Midi Flag Hinges if that helps. I hope my other information was of use to you.

will find instructions there.

Reply to
Ilene Dover

Hi,

was wondering how to get the cover plate up on these hinges? I've tried using a flat screwdriver to get under but dont want to damage the white coating.

Any help would be great.

Reply to
abandonship14

Yup just pop it off