RCD protection

I have an extension used for cutting the front grass, that needs replacing. Where is the best place for the RCD protection?

I see reels with the RCD on the reel itself, where I would plug my mower into. I also can get a RCD adapter the plugs into the socket in the house, which I then plug in the Extension lead.

Or does it make no difference.

Reply to
Yendor

On the plug end so the cable is protected.

Unless your house already has RCD protection on the sockets in which case don't bother.

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1
Reply to
Roger Mills

Bare in mind they're fragile, and RCD plugs often break when being whipped around on the end of a cable which is being moved or wound up.

Best is to have the socket RCD protected. If the socket is outdoors, install the RCD indoors in the dry.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well mine is in the house, but I suppose it depends how good its protection is and how likely it is that the extension will be damaged or get damp. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks.

Reply to
Yendor

As the extension cable is lying on the grass that's being cut then that's a 'quite possible' to both parts of your question. So put the RCD at the house end, where it protects from damage to both the mower and the cable.

Reply to
Graham Nye