RCD ?

"Peter Parry" wrote | May I suggest you try the experiment whilst sitting in a bath of | water containing 2.667 kg of NaCl and a zinc plate firmly attached by | means of a 4mm sq wire to mains earth?

Shouldn't that be 6mm, or 10mm if not mechanically protected or a PME installation?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There would be a lot of fizzing and some weak meat soup would be manufactured.

No. Stupidity at a certain well developed level always has been and always will be a fatal affliction. (See

for many examples).

A very long way from this.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Point of detail, Mr. Z: the coils are wound in the same direction, it's the currents that go in opposite directions - like this:

. i1 L --------UUUUU----->----- L supply .- - - load N --------UUUUU----- uuuuu wind'g | | (residual current = |i1-i2|) | | o o trip

Hmm, basket faze, bakez feast: ze fab skate... (s'pose you've seen em all though).

Reply to
Andy Wade

The answer is probably not in both cases, but I would not recommend it.

I am not going to comment on teh whole RCD issue.

There are arguments for and against, and personally I am somewhere in the middle...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes,

Very little.

And if it does

Yes, but its unlikley that it will.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

D'oh! Totally bleedin' obvious now you point it out. That'll teach me to engage brain (and perhaps make the Maxwell three-finger-gesture ;-) before posting.

One of the better ones an obviously-underemployed colleague at previous employer (s/w house just south of Oxford; hello any Joint European Tourist types ;-) came up with in a fit of story-writing in which he insisted on anagramming all our names was that arabic variant, Fez Atabesk.

Must get myself a new Blunkett made out in that moniker ;-)

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Err, did Maxwell have a three-finger salute? The left-hand (motor) rule is Fleming's; the RH (dynamo) one - wasn't that Faraday's?

Good one. I knew my efforts were sub-optimal :-(

A Blunkett(n.)? - a reference to ID cards, perhaps?

Reply to
Andy Wade