Random electrical musing - flex as fixed wiring?

When I redid the CH/HW controls and wiring recently I ran heat resistant flex (1x5 core and 1 x 3 core) from the airing cupboard down to the wiring centre by the boiler. a run of about 12m .

It did lead me to wonder about the use of flex for fixed wiring and how acceptable it is? Can't see any reason why not of the top of my head, though I can see why T&E is preferable in general

Reply to
chris French

If its got enough xsa its fine, if not it isn't. But it does cost more & suggest a nonprofessional install, so inspectors are likely to look a lot closer if its spotted.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Quite normal for such control circuits. My boiler and controls are linked with a 7-core flex, IIRC.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Mine was mocked by a sparky, so I pointed out that it was an extension lead with the flex just clipped to the skirting board, rather than trailing, to keep it out of the way. If it's OK to have flex where it can get trodden on etc., what's wrong with clipping it? He said that it became an installation and should be protected. OK, so steel conduit on the floor for trailing leads, logically.

Reply to
PeterC

That's the main function of part P..

to get you to do things in a dangerous way to justify part P.

Reply to
dennis

Was the main function of Part P. Part P is now nearly reasonable.

Reply to
ARW

There is no general rule against using flexible cables in fixed installations. Indeed in some circustances it is compulsory, for instance marinas.

The is no general requirement for visible insulated and sheathed cables (ie like standard flex or T&E) to be further protected by conduit etc.

Reply to
BruceB

In message , BruceB writes

By "extension lead" I assume the OP means it was plugged into a standard socket at one end and had either a single appliance or socket(s) at the other end in which case whether clipped to the wall or not would not be covered by Part P would it?

Reply to
bert

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

+1
Reply to
bert

+1. Installed that bit myself as the gas guy couldn't get a sparky at short notice.
Reply to
Bob Eager

That's nicely circular!

I devised a self-justifying explanation for the roadstone industry after suffering a B-road in the Peak District that was in a bad way: The main reason for the roadstone quarries is to repair and build roads for roadstone lorries. There were so many of them and they were hammering the road so much that I was surprised that they were getting to the end of the road without using all of the loads to repair the road!

Reply to
PeterC

True, but if trailing on the floor and so prone to damage it would be OK.

This was about 20 years ago - was Part Pee in force then?

Reply to
PeterC

I remember when having an inspection of my first house (before I'd done any thing to the wiring) "flex used as fixed wiring" was mentioned as a non-con formance. On the other hand, the person who did it didn't mention the kitch en sockets and one socket elsewhere which had been teed off the immersion h eater wiring (with an extra piec of T&E coming out of the immersion heater switch)...

More recently when having our lab rewired at work the contractors used 6mm2 3-core flex for the radials and something like 35mm2 5-core flex for the m ain UPS connection - only really 'flexible' by comparison to the armoured c able used for the incomer...

Reply to
docholliday93

OK, thanks everybody. Pretty much what I thought :-)

Reply to
chris French