Rain anyone ?

Well, the day started absolutely scorching, but by 4pm the rainclouds had gathered.

Lets put it this way, i've had a PC or two on 24/7 since ~1993 and today was the first time I not only switched them off, but also _unplugged_ them and the router.

Lightning like we've never seen it, extremely heavy rain lasting about an hour, and this was the road outside - luckily we're in the "shallow" end (!)

that kid is ass deep in water, and the pavement where the bike is happens to be a double-height kerb.

This crazy barsteward drove through it - he looks artificially high here because he's going over a speed hump (!)

last but not least, here's a (cropped) pic of my neighbour - quite a lot of symmetry to it, even if I do say so myself...

had no patio left (developed a free swimming pool - 4-5" of water), and it came to within an inch of breaching the damp course.

Just to top it all off, we've got a flat-roofed extension, and it started to leak where it met the back wall of the house :-} (luckily it's just "damp" not pissing in !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Whereabouts are you? It's been quite a nice day here today, warm, albeit a bit of a sea-fret close to the coast, but there's been no precipitation yet (famous last words!).

At about 4pm I was walking the dog in a country park, eating an ice-cream, and wearing shorts and a polo shirt. Just a little cooler tonight as I went to the pub.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Liverpool

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

We had a pleasant walk in the dales - got to hear thunder for about an hour, saw a few proper flashes over 10 minutes, and saw the rain coming down hard over Ingleborough. We remained completely dry :-)

(good clouds too)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

We had it Friday evening (after a warm day) for around three hours or so covering the Southwest and South Wales. For a while, the storm was eerily 'silent' with huge lightning flashes every few minutes lighting up the dark sky - and not a sound.

Then came the sound effects, thunder that seemed to roll around for minutes on end after each lightning flash -and then the crescendo with the added rain - and was it a fantastic, nature flexing its muscles. :-)

No problem with flooding where I was though - but I live on the top of a bloody great hill :-)

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

We're not in an area particularly known for flooding ourselves (no water courses nearby etc) - i've been here 19 years, and i've seen it get to a few inches under really heavy rain, but nothing like this :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In article , Colin Wilson scribeth thus

Boyz will be boyz eh?, used to love floods when I were a nipper etc;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Mind the lightning then!...

Remember the 30 / 30 rule..

Inside when the flash to bang is less than 30 seconds .. and outside 30 mins after the last flash..

Reply to
tony sayer

Maybe I'm being thick early on a Monday morning, but wanna clarify the above?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thus spake Lobster ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

I think he means that if the thunder comes within 30 seconds of the lightning flash, the thundercloud is getting very close and it's time to head for the safety of indoors (though that's not guaranteed), and it's safe to go outside again half an hour after you last saw a flash of lightning.

The safest place to be during a thunderstorm is inside anything that's enclosed by a metal frame and acts as a Faraday Cage, such as a car. That's of course unless the car gets submerged by floodwater ;-)

Reply to
A.Clews

I was over in Neston on the Wirral during the rain and thunderstorm - not quite as bad as you described it, but fairly severe nonetheless.

Having read the news this morning about Liverpool Airport etc, I was particularly surprised as when I arrived home in Frodsham some 3 hours later it was completely bone dry - there had not been a drop of rain, and we are only about 2-3 miles (as the crow flies) from the airport!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Tony,

That rule is no fun, I love a good thunderstorm and will stay outside to watch until the rain starts to fall rather heavily and I've been doing that ever since I was a small nipper - great stuff :-)

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

We had a shower of rocks thrown by the local chavs about 4.15PM. That's some mega rain you've had.

Reply to
Mogga

Is it nice living opposite a jail? If it's not a jail, what is it?

Reply to
Part timer

It's actually a library / nursery / job centre / sports hall

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk scribeth thus

Yes thats what's meant;)..

Interesting one that .. never bothered to work it out!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Rules are for the guidance of wise men, but the strict obeyance of idiots and other feeble minded persons;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

^^^^