Radiator Standard Sizes

Question:

I want to replace 2 single radiators upstairs with doubles. I have measured them and they are both 17400mm (W) x 53000 (H). Is that a standard size? Could I just replace the single for same size double?

Any help appreciated, thanks :-)

Reply to
rob m

Must be cold in your part of the world!

Dimensions in my catalogues are in multiples of 100mm (but not every interval)

so 1800 x 500 for example.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That seems to be a v. big radiator!

The pipes will need to be further away from the wall as the connections on a 'double' will out a bit more. I've just taken out a type 11 (single panel with fins; Stelrad type K1) of unkown make with a Stelrad P+ (type 21 - 2 panels, one with fins) and had to tweak the pipes out /and/ it was about 10 - 20mm longer!

Some pipework might be necessary.

Couple of wibbles:

prices and delivery)

at the range that interests you and there are links to PDFs with all of the sizes on.

Reply to
PeterC

Thans for that, seems I meant 1740 and 530.

Reply to
rob m

...and sometimes that's a non-issue because there's so much play in the pipes, while other times trying to pull the pipes at all can cause the pipes to deform badly. Problem is, you won't know until you've disconnected the existing radiator.

You can get little connectors that make up for the difference in pipe spacing between an old imperial sized radiator (which yours may be) and the nearest smaller metric sized radiator. If I could remember where I'd seen it, I'd post a link - sorry!

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Be aware that it's usually HxL; this important with short rads., as 500x600 isn't the same as 600x500 - although the output would be similar.

Reply to
PeterC

Yup, managed to tweak some and solder some.

There are some in Screwfix and Martin and Partners have a good selection loose on the shelf for looking at.

Um, my 'awkward' change from 1400mm to, er, 1400mm needed pipe shorteners and I couldn't find any. With the connectors fully in I'd still got about

10mm to lose, so just chopped a bit out of the pipe.
Reply to
PeterC