Qualifications for Electrician?

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
What Qualifications needed for fitting other peoples domestic electrics in UK?
Thanks

None. (At least until next year).
Christian.

At present, zero.
From April 2004 most electrical work will require certification by a qualified tradesman.
Andrew

I though that from April 2004 most electrical work will require certification from a tradesman belong to specified organisation(s) - which is not necessarily the same as a qualified tradesman.
James

What do you mean by 'most'? I advertise myself as a handyman and do a lot of minor electrical work, i.e. swap light fittings, replace socket outlets, garage lighting and sockets etc. etc. Will this affect my 'ability' to do such work? Can you point me in the direction of something I can read up on it?
TIA
John
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:35:23 +0000 (UTC), "John"

It sounds like you and I perform much the same service for our clients in terms of electrical jobs. So my pessimistic interpretation does have its roots.
I refer to the forthcoming regulations which will be imposed from April 2004 by our ever-helpful Labour government. In fact more specifically, by the office of the Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott. You need to read the documents on the following web site in order to get the full SP:
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cgi?pn_id 03_0133
These regulations are not entirely dissimilar to the intentions of the corgi scheme involving gas fitting - except that with corgi they refer to "competent persons". With the new electrical regulations they have tightened the noose so that you have to belong to a recognised trade body who will underwrite the certificates which you issue.
The proposals do not include some minor works where no new circuits are implemented EXCEPT if in bathroom or kitchen, in which case work must be certificated.
I wrote to my MP about this legislation about a month ago, and received a response back from Keith Hill MP, who is the minister with responsibility for the new regulations. Summing up his words:
1) I don't need to worry about minor works which are excluded from the regulations (yes folks, I am still able to change a fuse in a 13A plug).
2) I can do the work, then request the local authority to carry out certification checks (Dear Householder, I am sorry that I am not qualified to do this work, if you would just let me have a cheque to cover the cost of a separate inspection.....).
3) Get registered.
I am currently looking at the latter option. It involves going to college to get C&G2391. Then buying about 800 worth of 16th edition test equipment. Add to that a yearly calibration cost. Then I've got to join NICEIC or another recognised industry body, who will do a random inspection of my work and check various other factors about my business before declaring that I can issue self-certifications.
I summed up the costs for this, which I recently exposed on this forum. It came to about 2000 just to get into the scheme, then maybe 1000 a year after that.
You can get more information about NICEIC from the following web site, with costs and how to apply:
http://www.niceic.org.uk
Basically Labour have invented a new quango which they have forced people to join. I presume that Labour are getting some sort of backhander from this arrangement, like they do from the unions. My grips about this new arrangement is that at least in union membership you can request that your party donation is given to a charity instead. Not so with NICEIC, it'll cost several hundred bucks a year, and quite frankly do nothing to improve safety.
Still, one positive consequence of this is that by forcing my company to spend its money there will be less to hand over to Gordon in taxes at year end.
Andrew
I am an NICEIC contractor only a small one man band. the whole thing is a stitch up. the intention of this goverment is i'm sure to eventually have us all working for one big plc so that it is easier to get their hands on our money. the paperwork involved with doing the simplest job now takes a couple of hours. this year despite not having to have a written health and safety policy cause i dont employ more than 5 its now in the rules of the niceic along with a proper written risk assessment for every job making me think is it worth the bother.
by the way your comments about giving to charity you'll be glad to know you still will as the niceic is a charity.
Loz

I'm sure that that's part of the game and have strong suspicions that plumbing will be next. Self certification is the big hobbyhorse and like a lot of the garbage emanating from the ODPM looks convincing at first sight. It is the bogus supporting justification to support a policy that is not the wish of the man in the street that is the problem.
The next step would make the trade associations companies limited by guarantee, like Notwork Rail, and by a simple matter of stealth into pubic ownership.

For now......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy not only is it a charity but its also a company limited by guarantee
loz

Well there's (not) a surprise......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No, like Network Rail, that new model of efficiency busily soaking up our taxes....
Steve

All sounds like another case of trying to create more jobs for people who are generally otherwise unemployable other than in administrative positions and that can't actually do it so they can sit on their arses and tell someone else how to do it .. rake in the money and take away profits ... a government taking more money from skills and putting it in to administrations and turning us in to a country of administration with a zero skill base ... pretty soon we will have all these people qualified to administrate .. with no skills left to administrate. ... an Anti-Skill Labour government ... where's the irony in that?

Come next April the market rate for electrical work will increase, so presumably you can pass this extra cost onto your customers. This extra cost will of course provide an incentive for cowboy electricians to undercut responsible tradesmen - making the scheme a farce.
James
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:25:04 +0100, "James"

I'm actually trying to look at this another way presently. First off, I was (and still am) wholly negative. Then a few days ago I started wondering about whether it might create a new market that I could take advantage of.
So I signed up for the C&G2391 course. Assuming that worked out then I ought to be able to apply for NICEIC recognition. And once that's done then writing certificates is something I could get paid for.
And putting the cost up is good for me. But not for Joe Punter.
Andrew
McKay wrote:

It's not good for him if he already had a good electrician or was a competent DIY'er and so ends up paying more for no benefit.
But I have had personal recent experience of an 'electrician' who didn't have a clue what he was doing. From the Triton Showers website top installation problems: "We often see undersized cables coming in to our units, the most common is 2.5mm2. This is dangerous because the cables could overheat. The smallest size cable you can use on any shower is 6mm2 and there are times when it will need to be larger."
IMO the real problem is that the costs of complying with these changes will be out of all proportion to the benefits. It would make far more sense IMO to insist on electric and gas inspection reports being made available when a property is put up for sale which would catch the installations on which no work has been done since the 1950's (or before)
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

The primary qualification is the ability to suck your teeth and say "Cor- not seen one like them since the fire in Acton". The ability to say " yer need a new disti unit and it'll cost yer GBP900" qualifies you for intermediate grades. Further lessons can be obtained from any passing plumber but the Infernal Mental Midget lessons are available here for free.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

We just had an NICEIC firm in to PAT test, amongst other things, some ~200 computers. They did this one evening after everyone had gone home, and sure enough, they all have stickers on them the next day to say they were tested. This was a truely remarkable accomplishment, because not one of them was rebooted during the process -- most had uptimes of many weeks, since we last had a power cut, and none had been rebooted in the last 24 hours.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Clearly part of the NICEIC course is to join Harry Potter at college for a year!

I've always been amused to see that the stickers to say equipment had been PAT tested are often attached to the removable mains leads.
It was about 5 years ago now, but I cannot recall seeing the stickers on the PCs themselves.
Nuts.
cheers
Richard
-- Richard Sampson

that they don't need testing but that they have been "Formally Visually Inspected".