Puny detergents

Because it's harder to clean luxurious soft furnishings, ornate mouldings etc than it is to swill a bucket of bleach over lino.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Mary, with my head and hair, I get so much grease on the bath I have to wash it off every time I take a bath and wash my hair. Taking a shower in the bath does not leave the grease in place though. I'm glad to say. Right now, I am contemplating a shower to supplement my bath of this morning.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Mr Firth

would trust to kill disease causing organisms.

Reply to
Magician

So far I haven't been proved wrong. I suppose you also think that AOL isn't a cess pit for the stupid?

Reply to
Steve Firth

LOL

Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned using 111 Trichloro... to get the grease of his hands. I used to use that stuff (not on my hands) but you can't buy it now. I used to use Vim to get car engine grease off my hands only problem seemed to be it left them powdery.

Recently in RS components I noticed a special bar of soap for getting grease off hands and bought one. Looking at it, it seemed to be 50% hard soap 25% powdered pumice stone, and 25% Vim. I put it in a soap dish at the back of the sink and forgot about it

2 weeks later 18 year old daughter comes home from Uni and says Hey dad, that new soap's really good!

DG

Reply to
Derek *

MRSA is a pretty recent thing.

Nope, I contracted a version of this in 1963, from a hotel shower.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Tesco sell Ajax!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I noticed the same on a visit to a Children's ward in a major teaching Hospital late last year.

Medical staff going to/from Children who were in isolation (presumably due to contagious disease or weakened immune system) without washing their hands.

If they are not bothering to adhere to correct hygiene procedure in a TEACHING Hospital, how can they expect procedures to be followed elsewhere?

It's not on.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Oh, yes of course, I see. It wasn't me who said opulent and his room wasn't like that, it did have better lighting, natural and artificial, and a wonderful bathroom and other facilities than any hotel room I've ever been in. Not that I've been in many. I was put up during that time at the airport hotel (again at your expense) and it was nothing like as pleasant as his single bedded 'ward'.

The service certainly wasn't as good either.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You mean they come back to life?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My favoured way of getting throughly clean is to wallow in the bath for an hour then do the equivalent of the Roman strygil, except on my feet where I use a pumice stone, then shower all the loose muck off. Neither bath nor shower, used singly, is efficient in my opinion.

The shower is also very useful for swilling down the bath afterwards.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have no secrets. Plenty of wrinkles. I quite like them, it's been fascinating watching their development and it doesn't hurt.

What's Gatinaeu? Is Oil of whatsit still about? Never used it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

This is bizarre. IME of a considerable number of airport hotels, they are always poor in terms of service, facilities, food and are overpriced.

Basically, you pay for convenience of proximity to the airport and most people are only there for one night or even part of a night.

Perhaps they managed to get a deal there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

er - what's bizarre? Didn't I explain myself well enough? Sorry, if so. The service and facilities at the airport hotel weren't as good as those Spouse enjoyed in his hospital room.

I thought it was just me! It was my first experience of an airport hotel. The best part about it was its history and the willingness of the night security man to show me artefacts. They could do an excellent poached egg too so it wasn't all bad.

I'm sure they (the NHS) did. We were there for about ten nights, B&B.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yep, that's what I understood you to mean.....

Oh, no. They are all pretty bad and generally the staff seem to have a poor attitude to customers as well. The UK ones are the worst, IME, but even in countries noted for a good service attitude(e.g. Nordic countries) they aren't great.

In the United States, they are used by NASA quite a bit.

Not etchings ?? ;-)

Most airport hotels have a history dating back to about 1975, which is usually when they were last decorated.

That makes a change. One of my big peeves about almost all hotels is that they can't cook eggs properly - especially scrambled eggs. They always seem to wreck them.

Was this in Leeds? I don't think I've been to an airport hotel there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL!

These were WW2 relics, when the place was used by the Canadian Air Force. Apparently they'd recently had a reunion and they had wheelchair races along the corridors ...

I was amazed - and delighted. Real, individually poached eggs, soft centres, on genuine smoked haddock. Cooked to order. Bliss. I made sure that the chef received my plaudits and had it every morning while others helped themselves to the hard fried ones with leathery bacon and tinned tomatoes with soggy toast etc. from the buffet. As long as they could pile their plates to overflowing they didn't seem to care about the quality ...

Darlington. The St George at Teesside International Airport. I didn't know there was one but I rarely fly.

If it had been Leeds I could have stayed at home. As it was I considered taking the caravan but since I spent most of my time at the hospital I only used the hotel from about 9 pm to 9 am. I used our car but most people took advantage of the free taxi daily. One drove to Darlington, left his car at the hospital and used the taxi to and from daily. Why? Because it was free.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What I expect Jeff, is that NHS employees, whether they are doctors, nurses or cleaners, will do everything they can to make me well, not expose me to the risk of death through their laziness and stupidity - they should know better than the average kid who won't wash his hands after wiping his arse.

And please, do not, repeat, do not tell me that they are all too overworked to observe basic hygiene standards. For the past twenty-five years, my wife has been in and out of at least a dozen different hospitals, and the story is always, but always the same. With the exception of one or two concientious nurses, the majority are content to do the minimum of work, and can always, but always find the time to chat for hours at the nurses station.

Reply to
Homer2911

Mmm. I know, and then most of it is wasted.

I'm pretty fastidious about food and tend to go for small quantities of high quality things. So in hotels, I will typically ask for breaksfast things to be be cooked fresh, especially eggs. Most places are charging £15+ these days for breakfast, so I have no guilt about that at all. I won't eat rubbery rubbish that has been under an infra red lamp for an hour. However, I very rarely find a place that can cook scrambled eggs properly - i.e. without it being watery and anaemic or solid, turned to rubber.

I think I've flown from Tesside once, IIRC when Newcastle had a fog problem. I've never stayed there.

It wasn't really. You paid a ton of money for that in tax at some point.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So am I - passionate in fact, which is why we rarely eat out.

I've never had scrambled eggs outwith here and I don't know how they can be made to be watery but I have seen them like that. When my father in law was dying he was given the very pale, watery stuff each morning. When I asked what it was I was told it was scrambled eggs and good for him. He wasn't eating anything anyway but it was far from tempting.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

realised

cleaners.

Same goes for those who don't allow their posts to be archived.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq