Puny detergents

LOL!
These were WW2 relics, when the place was used by the Canadian Air Force. Apparently they'd recently had a reunion and they had wheelchair races along the corridors ...

I was amazed - and delighted. Real, individually poached eggs, soft centres, on genuine smoked haddock. Cooked to order. Bliss. I made sure that the chef received my plaudits and had it every morning while others helped themselves to the hard fried ones with leathery bacon and tinned tomatoes with soggy toast etc. from the buffet. As long as they could pile their plates to overflowing they didn't seem to care about the quality ...

<looks round>
Darlington. The St George at Teesside International Airport. I didn't know there was one but I rarely fly.
If it had been Leeds I could have stayed at home. As it was I considered taking the caravan but since I spent most of my time at the hospital I only used the hotel from about 9 pm to 9 am. I used our car but most people took advantage of the free taxi daily. One drove to Darlington, left his car at the hospital and used the taxi to and from daily. Why? Because it was free.
Mary
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:35:45 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Mmm. I know, and then most of it is wasted.
I'm pretty fastidious about food and tend to go for small quantities of high quality things. So in hotels, I will typically ask for breaksfast things to be be cooked fresh, especially eggs. Most places are charging 15+ these days for breakfast, so I have no guilt about that at all. I won't eat rubbery rubbish that has been under an infra red lamp for an hour. However, I very rarely find a place that can cook scrambled eggs properly - i.e. without it being watery and anaemic or solid, turned to rubber.

I think I've flown from Tesside once, IIRC when Newcastle had a fog problem. I've never stayed there.

It wasn't really. You paid a ton of money for that in tax at some point.

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

So am I - passionate in fact, which is why we rarely eat out.

I've never had scrambled eggs outwith here and I don't know how they can be made to be watery but I have seen them like that. When my father in law was dying he was given the very pale, watery stuff each morning. When I asked what it was I was told it was scrambled eggs and good for him. He wasn't eating anything anyway but it was far from tempting.
Mary

Nor do I. Nor, I believe, does anyone, despite politicians' rantings.

Yes, and now she's part of it so should be able to express the difference. It's the same in all areas of life, for instance schools.

That's silly because it's inefficient.

The food in Spouse's hospital was excellent (and we're very fussy). I took some photographs because I couldn't believe it. Chef came round to everyone daily to offer choices and they were delivered, exactly as requested, beautifully served and delicious. There was a decent wine list too (choices had to be paid for separately, i.e. not on NHS).

I agree with that 100% Calm surroundings are recovery inducing for many people, for those who'd like noise there was radio and television in the rooms. when I was in hospital I had to hear television football. All I wanted to do was sleep for a couple of days but it was impossible.>

Yes.
If you make a fuss the implication is that you should be grateful. That doesn't stop me making a fuss (why are you not surprised? <G>) but in fact the fuss-making has resulted in an understanding of our situation and some things have changed. I doubt that the changes have been permanent though ... :-(

Yes.
No. They have a greater income than the Fishers.

And if you have certain medical histories. I consider that I'm a very healthy person but I have had treatment for breast cancer, which precludes me from all the medical insurance I've looked at (from pure curiosity).

I don't mind paying for a service as long as it's good. I pay for other essential services such as clean water, sewerage, good food and the like. Why shouldn't I pay for medical treatment? I just don't like paying by stealth taxes for something which isn't worth the charges.

I like it when we agree :-)
But that won't stop me from disagreeing with you now and then :-) Nor, I suspect, vice versa.
Mary
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:09:38 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

The other thing that really annoys me is when people providing services don't tell me the truth. I've had this with doctors giving me the standard policy mantra until I've asked pointed questions. THen one discovers that it's an area over which they have control or that they have a financial incentive from the government to operate a given treatment regime.
I had silly nonsense this last week from the local authority waste collection department. Three bags of rubbish were left behind by the (sub contract) collection people. One was a genuine mistake because it was garden stuff and the allowance is one bag a week of that unless special bags are used. A neighbour had put their bag next to my one at the road and only one was collected. Genuine misunderstanding. THere was no reason for the other two and no real excuse was given so they agreed to collect the following day - 48 hrs is allowed in the contract. The normal collection day is Tuesday and I called each day afterwards to chase them. There is a requirement nowadays that bags are left at the road rather than near the house, and this became annoying because although we have a long drive with several car widths at the house, it narrows to one at the road, so rubbish bags get in the way.
Eventually on Friday, the bags were collected. I had been speaking to a young lady at the local authority who had been pretty helpful, but who wouldn't (couldn't) do anything such as pushing the waste contractor without asking her boss. So I called her boss on Friday and suggested that if this is likely to happen again that they agree that I could put rubbish part way up the drive to avoid it being in the way. He wasn't having any of that and gave me some story that the operatives weren't insured. On further asking of questions, it became clear that this wasn't really the situation, so in the end I put him on the spot and told him that I didn't believe him and would appreicate it if he told me what the situation really was. Finally he admitted that it was a money issue and that they had agreed with the contractor to only collect from the edge of the property because of the extra time to walk to houses. I thanked him for his honesty, and I'm going to call his assistant tomorrow and thank her for her help. She probably doesn't get many calls like that.
However, why on earth people can't tell the truth in the first place I don't know. If he had said it's a contract or money issue at the outset, we could have saved a lot of time because I would have accepted it.

All part of life's rich tapestry, Mary.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I noticed the same on a visit to a Children's ward in a major teaching Hospital late last year.
Medical staff going to/from Children who were in isolation (presumably due to contagious disease or weakened immune system) without washing their hands.
If they are not bothering to adhere to correct hygiene procedure in a TEACHING Hospital, how can they expect procedures to be followed elsewhere?
It's not on.
Hi Mary

realised
Not alone, but as part of a cleaning routine it's invaluable. <<<<
Bleach is a complete waste of time in a toilet - all it does it remove the colour from the limescale so you cant see it. Oh, and temporarily kills a few germs.
Dave

You mean they come back to life?
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:
    MRSA is a pretty recent thing.
    Nope, I contracted a version of this in 1963, from a hotel shower.
    Regards     Capitol

Excellent suggestion.
I also tried googling it; wonderful
mike

That is utter bullshit. Sodium hypchlorite is the only cleaner that I would trust to kill disease causing organisms.

As is that. MRSA in hospital has nothing to do with hospital cleaners. MRSA is spread by contact between individuals, it's not the cleaners who transmit MRSA, it is the medical staff.
Still, at least I note that you fit my theory that anyone using blueyonder doesn't have a clue.

<snip>
Oh yawn ... is any system any good apart from the one you use?
Mary

Did someone rattle your cage?

No, the noise was from your bars :-) I'm free.
Mary
Steve Firth wrote:

What a stupid thing to say!

Quite.
Mary

So far I haven't been proved wrong. I suppose you also think that AOL isn't a cess pit for the stupid?
Mr Firth

that I would trust to kill disease causing organisms. <<<<
What would I know? I only have a HNC in Chemistry, I'm only a full member of the British Institute of Cleaning Science and I only a qualified trainer for them. That plus 30 years in the cleaning industry - I suppose I'm bound to get it wrong....
I'll type this slowly so you can understand. Bleach does indeed kill 99% of household germs - under certain specific conditions. Modern quaternary ammounium sterilisers are much more efficient under almost all conditions.
Dirty toilets. The smooth nature of a ceramic toilet bowl means that bacteria has nowhere to hang about and breed. Enter hard water.
Limescale deposits form inside toilet bowls and enable bacteria to form colonies and multiply, causing satins and bad odours. Bleach kills the germs till next time the toilet is used - it has no effect on limescale whatsoever. None.
A modern toilet descaler will have an acid base to remove the limescale and a quat based sanitiser to kill the bugs. Simple innit?
Next. Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. Yes it can be spread by contact, but far more common is because dust and surfaces become contaminated with the organism. That's why cleaning of surfaces so important. Floors, walls, ledges etc.
So, if the cleaners don't clean properly, MRSA spreads. If contracted via airbourne dust it usually occurs whem the patient has left hospital, making diagnosis more difficult.

blueyonder doesn't have a clue. <<<
What on earth provoked that ad hominium attack? Comes of having shit for brains no doubt.
Dave

Germs are funky stuff. Odd infections in some surgical wards were finally traced to biologicals growing inside surgical iodine containers.
Bugger all, apparently.

How interesting.
Oh, no it wasn't.
Tell you what sunshine, if you're going to wave your willy, make sure that it isn't as small as yours.