professional kitchen worktop fitting

I was all prepared to cut my losses and attempt to repair the botch myself. However based all the comments about the quality of the work and your experiences with Ikea worktops I've rethought matters and have sent a 'letter before action' to him informing him I'll take county court action against him if he doesn't put the worktops right (effectively replacing and cutting with a new blade) or give me back the =A3180 plus compensation for the now useless worktops within 7 days. Before doing so I contacted Ikea about the specific worktop in question and they said it was a big seller (which means really big if Ikea say that) and they'd not had any returns due to chipped mitres.

-Neil

Reply to
rookie

I spoke to an adviser from the local CAB today and they suggested that I tell him I'll take him to county court if the matter isn't addressed satisfactorily in 7days, which is what I did today. Based on a perusal of Trading Standards website I don't think they can give me any more assistance that the CAB.

It's a difficult one. I don't want to aggravate him too much at this stage, in case his moral side is some how triggered by a letter I've sent him ;) However, I agree that in the long term the trader's name should be archived for others to give a wide birth. I'll look at doing it at a later stage.

Thanks

-Neil

Reply to
rookie

I was stupid enough to meet his request for the former :(

The fitter said he's cut thousands of worktops in the past (non-IKEA ones) without chipping issues. It seems like cutting across the grain means the ikea worktops are less tollerant of a blunt blade than un-textured ones, and he's be getting away with sloppy penny pinching practice for some time.

Would you expect that to adhese to silicon sealant? If so I'll keep it in my armoury of things to try if my court action direction goes nowhere.

Thanks

-Neil

Reply to
rookie

He's not a member of any trade associations (or so he says). Not sure what TS can do for me as I've been in touch with the local CAB. I'll give them a ring however as you're the second person who suggested contacting them.

Sorry, I didn't show the 'good' cut, just different abstractions of the poor one. What do you mean by finally filled?

2cm is quite an impressive gap to have covered! I know I can get away with 1cm by tiling, but I'm just annoyed as I wanted to avoid as much tiling as possible (on cost and time grounds).

Thanks

-Neil

Reply to
rookie

They may have received other reports of shoddy work by the same person. If so (and even if not), they may contact him, which would probably help the chances of getting this sorted. If you do end up taking this to court, any other complaints about him to TS will add substantial weight to your case.

Reply to
KVL

That's a fair point. With hindsight, I think you're being very reasonable in giving him every chance to rectify the problem. I hope you manage to appeal to his better nature and get the right result in the end without having to go through a small claims court, etc.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

This suggests he expected this to happen based on previous experience. If this is the case and he didn't warn you it was a risk because of the quality of the worktop then the quality is not a valid excuse for poor workmanship.

If he doesn't havea ny previous experience of this occurring then there is no reason to blame the quality over any other cause.

In short it's gash, it's the fitters fault and he knows it. Unfortunately it would probably take nothing short of legal action to get anything out of him now. Given that you are probably over =A3250 out of pocket on this only you can decide if this is worthwhile.

--=20 Steve F

Reply to
Fitz

Which means it went straight into his pocket. He is probably in the habit of asking for cash and does not intend to declare it to the Revenue. You might suggest to him that you could contact them on his behalf? I'm sure he will have seen the recent advertising campaign.

Reply to
HandyMart

I too suspect he won't declare it, or not the full amount anyway. As for mentioning it to him, I now don't see the threat improving my chances of him rectifying his shoddy work, plus it would give the game away and allow him to declare it ;)

Reply to
rookie

I often ask for & get paid in cash and I do declare it. I simply prefer cash because it 'clears' instantly allowing me access to the funds straight away. Why it still takes 4 working days to clear a cheque in the year 2006 is beyond me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just in case you really want to know....

John

In article , John writes

Fine olde world way of doing that isn't it. So why can't they scan the cheque when its paid in, and transact with the paying bank for there and then authorisation?......

Reply to
tony sayer

The message from tony sayer contains these words:

Because then they couldn't steal your credit for a day or two and make a killing off the interest.

Reply to
Guy King

You live and you learn! ;-)

Looks like this guy stumbled on a quick money maker - get a router and go around cutting worktops. He is probably also running boot sales on the weekend and knocking out copy DVDs down the pub.

5 years back I need to have a worktop cut, my father found a guy (think it was yellow pages) who offered this service for =A390 - nothing else in the ad, just a worktop cutting service on site. In the end I just bought a DeWalt router and a jig and did it myself. yes, it cost me more but the finish is perfect. I'm glad I did.

One thing that is very important when it comes to using new tradesmen is not to get too friendly. Be polite but don't get into small talk. The bodgers and conmen always use this to their advantage.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Therein lies madness

Reply to