Price/Quotes for replacing boiler - thoughts on first one

Folks, earlier (late Dec) I started a thread on Kitchens/Boilers - the basics being - new kitchen, boiler in way - 17 years old - replace - need new.

You all knidly helped identify actions/ideas - thanks Andy H et al.

I've had the first ballpark estimate thus - wondering what the groups thoughts are:

Remove Ideal New Mexico Slimline from existing open vented heating, indirect heated hw system. Flush system. Fit new Worcester Bosch wall mount boiler and flue, upgrade remaining equipment as required.

=A32300-2500 (depends on state of one radiator which has flow and return on same side)

The chap in question is someone that I have used before and is known to me and does good quality work etc etc (in fact does all this sort of stuff for a few people I know) so I have no reason to believe that he will do anything unecessary work wise (as he hasn't in the past).

All the rads except the one are new (12-18 months old max 4 years as they have been replaced since we moved in). All have thermostat valves. We have a new horstmann C25 programmer and new indirect hw cylinder/immersion - so other than the boiler and the one rad it's all pretty much new and spangly.

He's already suggested that we'd be best to keep the open vented heating as that's the lowest cost route.

I'm just boggling at how (when you take a boiler that's about 700 notes) such a figure arises - bearing in mind gas feed and pipes are all within a couple of feet of the new location - connected to the old boiler (literally 3m of pipe *max* to the new location) and pretty much everything else is already in place....

Thoughts?

I'm waiting on 2 other quotes as we speak - though since neither of them have even turned up to take a look so far I'm not too optimistic about this happening any time soon!

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Well here is my 10 pence. Removal of old Gloworm gravity unit. New Worcs HE40 Wall mounting. Honeywell S Plan + Wireless Stats. System Flush and Integrity check Revised piping from previous system. =A32837 + vat. Plus a further =A3200 for a carpenter to restore util room "cosmetics". Completed 13 months ago. So far not had a problem. (And that really count= s!) Savings =3D 34.66% reduction in gas used against 17 year avge. Need a couple more years to get really meaningfull figures but its in the right direction.

Reply to
Rob

It sounds a little steep. Look up the price if the boiler. However if you are happy with this guy...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I thought a tad hi Ed yes. Boiler would appear to be (basing it on what he said - a Greenstar 28HE) about 650 notes plus vat from discountedheating.co.uk. I'll be speaking to him in the next couple of days and will ask him exactly which one.

Out of interest I phoned my grandfather who he did a much more complex job for (remove gas fire, flue liner and back boiler - replace controls, new wall mount Baxi condensing, rejigging pipework, therm valves, system flush, convert to sealed from open vented - and the boiler was 2 rooms away from the original site) and that cost £2200 - so I shall have to pick his brains when I speak to him - see where the costs are...

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

In message , Dan delaMare-Lyon writes

I pay about £1200 + VAT for fitting an £800+vat Worcester Junior Condensing.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

We had a new Baxi boiler fitted late last year. It's a big beast as it powers a 5-bed house and supplies the hot water too. We had 3 quotes - first two told us we needed to replace the rads & hence quoted over =A33k.

Fortunately I know someone who's a plumber and has done work for other family members and he quoted =A31700 using existing radiators and included a full flush out of the system - took them about 3 days.

Very pleased with the end result and as mentioned in an earlier post it's far cheaper to run than the old Servowarm we had before it!

Actual cost of the parts is only a small part of the bill - you're paying for the expertise of the plumber in the classic supply and demand economics!

Mitch

Reply to
mitch

Don't forget the flue. Many online sites this is extra - easily can be best part of 100 more. Plus another couple of hundred bits and peices.

Sounds like the same job and same price I did a couple of years ago for someone round here.

Reply to
Ed Sirett