price for London Stock bricks (and best source)

I'm planning to build a wall across my drive and would like to use london stock bricks.

I've guestimated that I'll need about 1600 of them.

Can anyone tell me what's a good price for that kind of volume?

Also, can anyone recommend a good supplier?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

Search yell.com (or Yellow Pages) for "brick merchants". Transport is expensive so buy locally.

Reply to
Bruce

Thanks, but could someone please tell me what a "good" price is?

Reply to
Jim

Do you want new or secondhand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get at least three quotes. Provided that they are for the same type of bricks, the cheapest will be the "good" price.

It isn't rocket science, and you can do it all your research yourself rather than needing others to do it for you.

Reply to
Bruce

For christsakes why not just answer the guy instead of all this mealymouthed blathering. As far as I am aware, secondhand stocks, not too long ago, used to cost about £500 for a 1000. Maris

Reply to
Maris

So why are you blathering on about secondhand stocks?

Where did the OP specify secondhand?

Reply to
Bruce

Please don't argue on my account!

sorry I wasn't more specific - yes, ideally I'd like second-hand bricks - I'd like to marry it in to my Victorian house. Thanks for the pricing info Maris - I'd had a quote for second hand London stock of =A3425 per 500 pallet (delivery included). At =A3850 per 1000 that sounds a bit on the pricey side now.

Reply to
Jim

Sorry. ;-)

You still haven't been specific - you haven't said where the house is. The "best price" will almost inevitably be from a local supplier, but how do you expect anyone to help without knowing where "local" is?

Still, I wish you luck. I have always wanted to live in a house built from yellow stock bricks, but I haven't managed it - yet. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

fwiw, I live in Enfield, Middlesex, if anyone knows of any good brick suppliers in this region....

Reply to
Jim

=A0 London SW

second-hand (and I'm based in Enfield, Middlesex)

Reply to
Jim

I don't think the location will make that much difference - they will be on a pallet anyway. I'm in my third house built of London stocks and have quite a few out the back piled up for use somewhere. So they are now worth almost a £1 each??!!. I think an internet search will probably give you the information you require. Then there is always Salvo.

Maris

Reply to
Maris

Right. Beware that they vary enormously in quality. There were loads of different qualities when new - and secondhand often just get mixed up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, watch our for the multis which are worth less and crumble easiliy. I've had a look at sites on the net and £1 each seems to be quite common in fact!

Maris

Reply to
Maris

That's what my local BM charges for the rubbish ones. I'd guess the best don't reach the open market.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)