TV aerial mast - price and source

Hi,

drifted over from uk.tech.digital-tv back to the more generalised DIYers :-)

About to fit a new TV aerial to a chimney.

I have scaffolding erected (also doing other work to chimney) so I should have safe access.

I am (as usual) working my way around Screwfix et. al. to source my components over the Internet.

However nobody seems keen to post me a 12' pole to use as a TV mast.

I have got the following prices from a local aerial firm.

10' by 1.5" pole - £15 20' by 2" pole - £34

The 20' price seems a little steep for just an alloy tube, but then again this is a larger diameter than sink waste pipes so is a pretty hefty piece of kit.

Any suggestions for alternative sources of 2" alloy pipe (perhaps cut to length) where you may not be charged a premium because it is a TV mast?

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

In article , David W.E. Roberts writes

Yes a bit pricey, around a quid a foot is nearer the mark.

Metal suppliers but these usually will be more expensive. Perhaps the 10 by 1.5 may be the best option. Make sure to use a suitable rigging kit and get a good aerial Triax or Thelves or Antiference, avoid Maxview, never been impressed with them;(

Reply to
tony sayer

For a ground level site I'm looking for a 3 inch diam alloy or galvanised tube to mount a 1 m satellite dish. Any known sources?

Surprisingly I don't see any advertised on the satellite d-i-y sites,

- perhaps I've just missed them?

Roger

Reply to
Roger

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:50:31 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts" strung together this:

have aerials and masts etc... I've had a couple of aerials and equipment from them in the past when I haven't been able to get to my usual trade outlet and haven't had a problem.

Reply to
Lurch

================ Scaffolding tubes are usually 2" diameter. Buy a length from your scaffolder, but make sure you get aluminium rather than steel.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In article , Cicero writes

Yes but there quite expensive, well round here they are, as we occasionally need them.

Yep ally;( you don't want to pick a fight with a scaffolder;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Subsequently thought that one of those subsurban sidestreet modern lamp posts, the rolled steel type -without the top- would be ideal. Knowing how cash strapped local authorities are these must be made down to a low price. Anyone know of suppliers and cost. Probably more than I thought!!

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Not quite - ali scaff tube is actually 1-29/32 in. dia. by 7 swg wall thickness (48.3 x 4.47 mm in new money). The reasons for this odd size are doubtless historical - but if anyone out there knows why, it would be interesting to share the secret.

"2 inch aerial masting" usually is a genuine 2 in. dia by 16 swg wall, but I have also come across 48.3mm x 16 swg, so caveat emptor.

Reply to
Andy Wade

It's not so much the council you want but the sub-contractor who actually does the legwork for them (round here it's Harlite). They'll have a yard full of mangled ones that are basically only good for scrap and might let one go for a lot less than a brand spanking new one.

Reply to
James Hart

They're *way* over strong for aerial use. Unless at a good price. Which ally scaffolding usually isn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Cicero writes

I was about to say the same, also if you can manage it there are more solid ways of fixing the pole to the brick work than a lashing kit.

(pair) will hold a 2" pole for years without a problem and only require one M10 rawlbolt each to fix to the brick.

Skymasts will also supply 2" thick walled aluminium tube cut to length.

The advantage of this is that 10 years down the line your pole and fixings are just as good as the day you fitted them and not beginning to rust or fall down! Just make sure you get a good mechanically sound aerial and coax to go with it.

Reply to
Bill

Don't rust though!

Reply to
Bill

In message , David W.E. Roberts writes

If you want to see how not to do it take a look here,

Bill

use a bit of scaffolding pole.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Beg to differ Dave. A 20 foot pole with a goodly load thereon, I've seen quite a few of they "fracture" at the top "U" or more like "V" bolt fixing. The thicker scaffold pole is far better at resisting this..

Reply to
tony sayer

Unfortunately the 12' mast from TLC is one of the ones they won't ship - you have to collect it or arrange your own carrier.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

People forget wind loading on big arrays and also vibration.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Of course it will depend on the loading.

However, I'd be worried about using something too strong with a large array on the usual chimney stack mounting. Something has to give under storm conditions. I'd rather it was the aerial pole than the chimney itself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)