practical side of Smartstills (etc)

Scott Dorsey wrote: [snip]

That doesn't apply in other parts of the world.

Reply to
Steve Firth

mostly by loss of overall alcohol content and gain of various barrel flavours.

Pure distilled grain alcohol is almost pure ethanol.

It takes lots of added stuff to make it taste palatable as in gin or vodka.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jesus, do you ever post *anything* correct?

Google the "angels share".

Reply to
Huge

That'll be "not", then.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Carl D writes

A fellow allotmenteer has assured me that as long as you don't sell the produce distilling is fine & legal. Is he already blind or correct?

Reply to
usenet2012

In which country?

It is illegal to manufacture spirits in the UK without a distiller's licence which is required under the provisions of section 12 of the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979 and this includes manufacture for "own/domestic use".

Public Notice 39 - "Spirits production in the UK" dated July 2006 provides further information about HM Revenue & Customs' requirements;

Huge

Although rather a lot of years ago, my school had its own still simply for distilled water in the science block. We were told that the revenue had to know of it and could descend at any time to check its contents. I hardly think they are going to turn a blind eye to distilling now.

Reply to
polygonum

The problem AIUI is that HMRC simply never expected people to start distilling en masse. At least that is what a rep from Still Spirits told me when my local brew shop had an open evening to demonstrate the kit and explain the process.

Home distilling really took off in the 90s in New Zealand, when the government there accidentally legalised it. Having let the genie out of the bottle, they decided not to try and re-enact the previous ban. And so a whole country became experts in distilling and making spirits. And exporting the technology.

Here, having been blindsided by events, HMRC appear to have decided the Streisland effect is real, and that (ironically) a blind eye should be turned. Certainly there are shops openly selling stills, and the ancillary kit needed to turn out quite a decent hooch.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Incidentally, the open evening demo was 2007 ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Just out of idle curiosity, do the fusil oils etc pre-exist in the original wine or beer or are they created by the process of distillation?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The latter. They are by-products of alcoholic fermentation, principally amyl alcohol, propanol and butanol.

Reply to
Huge

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Now I'm confused: I would have presumed that making the original beer or wine would have been a process of alcoholic fermentation. I was wondering if heavy drinkers of beer and wine have more to worry about than their livers.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It is. I suspect that you misunderstand the word "alcohol" - it doesn't just mean ethyl alcohol (ethanol), it means an organic compound in which an -OH (hydroxyl) functional group is bound to a saturated carbon atom. The metabolic processes in yeast which make the ethanol we want also makes other alcohols; amyl alcohol, propyl alcohol (propanol) and butyl alcohol (butanol) and likely others ICBA to look up. These "higher alcohols" are toxic to a greater or lesser extent (than ethanol*) and in combination in fermentation/distillation are referred to as "fusel oil/alcohol".

When you distil a fermented liquid, these higher alcohols come off at different temperatures and can be separated and discarded.

(* Amyl alcohol has an oral LD50 of 200 mg/kg (mouse), suggesting that the chemical is significantly more toxic than ethanol.)

Well, most mammalian metabolism takes place in the liver, so higher alcohols are processed there, along with the ethanol. I would imagine the enhanced toxicity of the higher alcohols contributes to alcoholic cirrhocis. It's just that in beer and wine there's less of them - concentrating them by distillation is potentially dangerous.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The way I heard it was that the NZ customs officers asked the government to legalize it because they said enforcing the ban was a waste of their time.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Something like that ... from what I recall, there used to be a $100NZ license required to own a still which was costing more than that to collect. So C&E asked the government to review it, and somehow without realising the implications they just removed it. When the realised it meant anyone could run a still, everybody was ;)

Incidentally, irrespective of it's legality in the UK or otherwise, I have never heard, read, or known of any police action at all - it all seems to be on HMRC.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

They exist in the feedstock as a byproduct of fermentation.

What is really cool is that sometimes the distillation process can turn the long-chain alcohols that make up fusel oils into esters that can add pleasant fruity flavours, just as a side effect of boiling and reflux in the presence of an acid.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Ironically, this morning I went to youtube and searched on "isoamyl alcohol" and the first video that came up on the list was a paid ad from Smirnoff.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

LOL, nice one.

(* This should, of course, have said "former". Sigh.)

Reply to
Huge