Power Pressure Washers - Which to Buy

I'm thinking of buying a pressure washer for cleaning the pavements, Car etc and as they seem to be about 30 - 40 in the stores now i'm wondering if they are powerfull enough for the price. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

40 quid jobbie does me. Basically wanted something to clean 20 years worth of crap off of the patio, it coped with this no problem, Slow but effective.

On 20 Feb 2004, Jim wrote

Same here: bought a 40 one last year, and it did exactly what I wanted -- pressure-washed the deck and did half a dozen other jobs.
I think the difference in price relates more to frequency/type of use than it does to effectiveness of the pressure-washing.
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Also the more expensive ones have longer hoses (from what I've heard)

effectiveness
mike r
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:58:24 +0000 (UTC), mike ring

One does have to be careful with the twirly blaster though - it will remove paint quite effectively if used at short range
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
That can be handy sometimes!

well as much more effective.
My guess is it's because it cleans about 3 -4" square instead of about 1/2".
But I'm really glad I got one for my ancient Clarke.
mike r
WTF is a twirly blaster?

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID 1359
It only works with the larger machines.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

They are very effective. I succumbed to paying the exorbitant amount Karcher charge for all of their accessories and bought one recently. It did a marvellous job on the patio. Much quicker and effective than using the lance on its own. Bit messy though.
Why do Karcher charge so much for the add-ons? I would imagine if they priced them sensibly they would sell a helluva lot more. Reminds me of the Elektra Bekum cabinet saw I once had. The accessories for that were grossly overpriced also. Is it a German thing ?
Rant mode off
Paul Mc Cann
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:16:05 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net wrote:

For the same reason that a dog licks its private parts.

I wonder. Once you have the appliance, either you want the accessory or you don't

Not sure. I recently bought some Metabo bits (same company) and they weren't too bad.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Not quite.

My point is that if the accessory was more reasonably priced, and lets face it the twirly thingy for cleaning patios is not exactly a miracle of modern engineering so the price they charge IS exorbitant, then they would have a lot more impulse buyers.
People like myself, who I like to think are a little bit more discriminating and can detect rip-off pricing from a long distance would also tend to buy them with less alacrity. I'm on my third Karcher now,( sold one, broke one), and this is only the second accessory of theirs I have bought in over 12 years of ownership.
Once bought SWMBO one of their over the shoulder battery operated window cleaners. It cost all of 65 in Makro which coincidentally was the price of the small plastic spare part needed when the handle broke. Even the local agent thought their spare parts pricing ludicrous. Needless to say the part wasn't bought and Karcher slipped further down in my appreciation
How to alienate and lose customers must be chapter one in their marketing hand book
Paul Mc Cann
snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net wrote in

what the make was, the box is long gone, but it cost nearer 50 squid.
I think it was in Eytie firm that took on the line; I had to get it as it had proper British Standard couplings like the Clarke (which seems to be bulletproof, touch wood)
mike r

delivery, and I'm well pleased with it ......... and it comes with a twirly thingie
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#80906411&category186

I bought a 40quid champion one from Focus. Had it two years now, it cleans the car well, I've done the patio with it, garden furniture, a load of steps, the drive, and cleaned the drains with the 15m drain cleaner (bought seperatly).
I like mine, only downside to it (compared to my dads 100quid one) is it doesn't auto cut off when you stop using it (which is not in itself a problem), and it can be a bit troublesome to prime for the first use, ie you have to run loads of water through it to clear any air blocks before you start.
I bought a Karcher for around 100 but after about 20 uses it's started leaking internally. The little detergent syphon is also a waste of time as you knock the detergent bottle over. Not impressed thus far but hoping this was just bad luck as I'm still considering a new Karcher.
Thanks a lot for the advice Guys