Power Jack for Sony Discman

Hello Everyone, I only manage to dip in here every now and then these days but it is always nice to see the regulars still plugging away...

Anyway, would anyone know the specs for the power jack that would plug in to a Discman? Maplin do a huge selection -- they said take it to one of their shops and try everyone - I don't have a shop near me.

RS only do the 2.1 and 2.5 and another one ( I forget) none of which fit. I have to make up a doodah for my mate's kids. 3 kids in the car, trip to Germany, all with Discmans, lots of batteries. I have the DC adaptor, just can't find the right power connector.

Ta.

Reply to
richard

Have you thought of going to *Sony* site and looking up the specs?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Proprietry items are sometimes incompatible with the standard Maplin connectors - just to prevent folk plugging in their own PSU. You could try Ebay for a s/h Sony psu.

john2

Reply to
john2

Yup - memories of the Psion with it's locking groove. Ordinary ones worked fine, but were prone to come out.

I found the Maplin yellow power connector works fine with my Sony 7600 radio and another Sony device. I use this with a Maplin switched mode PSU, which is probably overkill.

One genuine Sony I got, refurbished from a Sony shop some time ago, failed with a blown heat sensitive fuse after about a year's use, hence the reason for picking the cheaper SMPSU.

Reply to
John Weston

There are well over a dozen sizes of these type of power connectors, so it might be worth measuring the existing one. The diameter of the centre contact can vary too as well as the outside one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , John Weston writes

Roger that on the yellow tip - it seems to be an industry standard for coding the tips. I have a universal PSU I bought from somewhere (might have been Maplin) that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car and comes with a collection of tips - the yellow tip from that fits my Discman.

I think from Maplin you would want a lead (AQ81C).plus tip I (AR22Y)

have in my hands the PSU from my Discman and that has a yellow tip, is

4mm OD and has a small hole up the middle for the centre contact (about 2mm diameter).

For completeness it is centre +ve and 4.5 V @500 mA

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

Weston

Discman.

> I have in my hands the PSU from my Discman and that has a yellow tip, is

wireable plug in the list.

Rich

Reply to
richard